What would be the best way to transport a small saltwater stock?

dboll2

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am planning on taking a friend's saltwater stock to my brother, who lives 2 hours away. I am trying to think of just how to do this without killing anything. There's two fish, a few pieces of coral, a couple crabs, and about 10lbs of live rock.

suggestions?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not specifically a saltwater method, but polystyrene boxes would help insulate the water to maintain temperature for the journey.

As for how to transport the stock, that's probably best left to our salty friends to answer.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I think placing the fish in a cooler and adding a battery powered air supply would be good. Link to battery powered air pump below. This is also good to have for power outages, it plugs into a 110 outlet and when the power goes off the air pump comes on:

This one is a bit cheaper. It doesn't plug into a 110 outlet. It has to be controlled manually for power outages:

If you use a chemical on your saltwater fish to reduce stress and add body slime, then I would recommend that also. (not a salt tank keeper here).

Best of luck with the move!

Ken

lorabell

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
+1 on all above!!!!! I always transport everything in coolers(lol...I keep 1 in the car at all times...in summer we have extreme heat and now its very cold)

All livestock should be in plastic bags with plenty of tank water...I would also place the rock in some bigger plastic bags also(even if u have to use trash bags, you would want the rock to be kept wet also(from tank water)...I have a bunch of just tank towels that I use for things like this...soak the towels in tank water and cover the rock with thm and then place them in the bags, this will help keep anything living on the rocks alive. I don't think its necessary to keep the rock in a cooler but if u had the room it would be fine...the more important thing is to not let it dry out. Keep it wet even when u get to your destination and while u are re setting up the tank.

Once the rock is in or while setting up the rock...accimate the livestock slowly...I use a drip method.....hope this helps!!!! Good luck and keep us posted.

lanlesnee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've moved two large tanks now without any lost. One was even in the winter.
I think the main thing is buckets, buckets and more buckets. I didn't have anything outside in the cold I made sure it went straight to the truck cab, after everything was loaded, if it was live.
Tanks, stand, etc are okay in the bed load them first.
Besides maybe a quick rinse, I didn't clean anything during set up. Try to disassembly and reassembly as quickly as possible. Put things in as many buckets as you can. Take as much of the water as possible. I keep filling buckets until the water becomes too dirty (towards the bottom of the tank). I leave that water behind.

New Threads