What would be some good plants for a planted tank?

1. crawfishcrazy27

crawfishcrazy27 Well Known Member Member

What would be some good plants for a 29G long planted aquarium with a sand substrate? I also have a vanilla lobster if that would change anything.

CrawfishCrazy27✌️

2. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Good beginner low-light plants are Anubias (tied to hardscape) Java Fern or Windelov Java Fern (tied to hardscape), Cryptcoryne Species, Dwarf Sagitaria, Pennywort, Mosses, and Pellia.

3. OP
    OP
    crawfishcrazy27

Thanks! Do you know how to dirt an aquarium also? I am planning on dirting it, put the plants in, then sand, then decor, water, fish, etc. If I got anything wrong in the list please help :)
    Thanks in Advance!

CrawfishCrazy27✌️

4. C

CLam Well Known Member Member

My favorite combo is anacharis + java moss, because I float the anacharis, which shades the lower lighted java moss below. Although some people have trouble tending anacharis, I never have.

5. TKDennison

TKDennison Valued Member Member

I am one of those that had anacharis issues. It. Just. Melts...

On the other hand I'm having fantastic luck with amazon swords, melon swords, red flame swords, chain swords, java fern, java moss, Anubias nana, rotala rotundifolia, jungle val, and corkscrew val

I have sand substrate, I just dose liquid ferts and use root tabs

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. C

CLam Well Known Member Member

Coming to Fish Lore, I suddenly feel very lucky. I was the quiet little nerd in grade school, and my best friend was the mouthpiece, and she told me to get anacharis because it's an easy beginner's plant. Anacharis was one of those unkillable things in my tank. Then I grow up an go online and I learn that anacharis can "melt", by which you mean all the leaves deteriorate and tear away, right?

It'd probably be unwise for me to try my hand at swords, having cichlids and all...been trying to get my hands on some hornwort, but somehow all the LFS have run dry. ATM all my plants are free floating, for obvious reasons.

7. OP
    OP
    crawfishcrazy27

Does anyone know an aquatic plant dealer (possibly also deals decor) and they could either PM me it or just post it below? Thanks!

CrawfishCrazy27✌️

8. TKDennison

TKDennison Valued Member Member

I buy a lot of plants from aqua bid. I have had great luck with almost everything (except the anacharis! lol)

9. OP
    OP
    crawfishcrazy27