What would be a powerful enough canister of moderate price?

Eirelav_mcgoo
I currently have a HOB Aqueon quietflow 75 for my 55g.

Tank specs
Moderately planted
Songjoy 1320gph wavemaker
Stock lighting (Aqueon kit)
78f
Ammoia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 15-20ppm
Ph 7.8
Stock (I know about the issues)
4 pictus cats
7 rummynose tetra
1 German blue ram
2 zebra Fabio
3 assassin snails
2 gold gouramis (in qt)

I would like to change up the filter to handle the set up we have and from my undestanding the stock filter is not strong enough. I would also like to change from a HOB to canister has the noise bother us. The tank is in our living room in a small apartment, the filter probably seems louder than it seems.

What would be a powerful enough canister of moderate price? If/when I upgrade to 90g, will this filter accommdate? Thanks in advance.

Greg F
Many people are super loyal to a particular brand of cannister filter. I personally run two penn plax cascade 700's on my 65 tall and love them . They are are quiet , easy to use , adjustable as far as filter media and comparatively inexpensive. Cascade 1000's are rated for tanks to 125 gals.

Rojer Ramjet
I have Aquatop CF500s running along side my sumps, for my quarantine, and feed stock tanks (food for my Fahaka puffer).

I also have a couple of Fluval 306s.

I prefer the Aquatop, both from price and internal volume.

fissh
A susun 304B is very dependable and you can't beat the price.

Tony M
I'm running a Fluval FX4 on a 46 gallon bow front. Pricey but very quiet. Rated for up to a 250 gallon tank so It's definitely overkill so it keeps tank crystal clear.

75g Discus Tank
I really love the Eheim 2217. It will do the job on a 90.

I would advise keeping the HOB as well as it has all of the bacteria and it is extra filtration.

treelover3
I currently have a HOB Aqueon quietflow 75 for my 55g.

Tank specs
Moderately planted
Songjoy 1320gph wavemaker
Stock lighting (Aqueon kit)
78f
Ammoia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 15-20ppm
Ph 7.8
Stock (I know about the issues)
4 pictus cats
7 rummynose tetra
1 German blue ram
2 zebra Fabio
3 assassin snails
2 gold gouramis (in qt)

I would like to change up the filter to handle the set up we have and from my undestanding the stock filter is not strong enough. I would also like to change from a HOB to canister has the noise bother us. The tank is in our living room in a small apartment, the filter probably seems louder than it seems.

What would be a powerful enough canister of moderate price? If/when I upgrade to 90g, will this filter accommdate? Thanks in advance.
I purchased a Marineland C-220 canister filter for my 38g BF tank and I couldn't be happier! I've had the filter for about 6 weeks and so far the filter is very quiet. This canister is very easy to maintain by unplugging the filter and then disconnecting the hoses. I'm pretty sure that most canister filters are probably setup like this so that may not be anything special about the ML C-220 canister filter.

I currently have the ML C-220 canister filter, a ML Bio-wheel 200 HOB filter, an UG filter and I just added an air-driven twin foam filter about a month ago.

I bought a new 55 gallon tank and just received a new Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 canister filter in the mail today. I have not yet used the Cascade 1000 so I can't comment on it at this time but I will add an update after it's been in use for a while. I am going to connect the Cascade 1000 filter to the 38g tank to get the BB established before I put it on the 55 gallon tank.

One of the responders to your thread said he uses 2 Penn-Plax Cascade 700 canister filters on his 55 gallon tank and is very happy with the filters and that is great news! I purchased the PP Cascade 1000 because it was quite inexpensive compared to other canister filters that are available. Petco has the C 1000 canister filter for under $68.00 plus free shipping - I just couldn't pass up that bargin!

Eirelav_mcgoo
I purchased a Marineland C-220 canister filter for my 38g BF tank and I couldn't be happier! I've had the filter for about 6 weeks and so far the filter is very quiet. This canister is very easy to maintain by unplugging the filter and then disconnecting the hoses. I'm pretty sure that most canister filters are probably setup like this so that may not be anything special about the ML C-220 canister filter.

I currently have the ML C-220 canister filter, a ML Bio-wheel 200 HOB filter, an UG filter and I just added an air-driven twin foam filter about a month ago.

I bought a new 55 gallon tank and just received a new Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 canister filter in the mail today. I have not yet used the Cascade 1000 so I can't comment on it at this time but I will add an update after it's been in use for a while. I am going to connect the Cascade 1000 filter to the 38g tank to get the BB established before I put it on the 55 gallon tank.

One of the responders to your thread said he uses 2 Penn-Plax Cascade 700 canister filters on his 55 gallon tank and is very happy with the filters and that is great news! I purchased the PP Cascade 1000 because it was quite inexpensive compared to other canister filters that are available. Petco has the C 1000 canister filter for under $68.00 plus free shipping - I just couldn't pass up that bargin!
I am not a very big fan of marineland. I had a starter kit from them which malfunctioned right from the get go, and their HOB filter was loud and noisey.

There are a couple lightly used in newish condition fluval cannisters around me so I may check those out. Thanks everyone for your input

Eric360
Stand by Sunsun. A 704B is $90ish and 525gph. 4 huge trays for media, you can put course/medium/fine pads in very bottom and fit around 8L of Matrix in the other 3. Around 1/3 the price of Fluval/Eheim/Marineland...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AcornTheBetta
Replies
Views
rg0p
Replies
Views
happyfins14
Top Bottom