what will live in this? 2 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by jrichey7519, Dec 2, 2012.

1. j

jrichey7519 New Member Member

i got a betta in a 2gal tank. it was my nephews and he wasnt taking care of it. when i got it, it was really bad. it stunk and the water was orange. it had one blue betta in it. i cleaned everything and put him back in there. all seems really well but im gonna get him a 5gal tank. i want something to put in the 2gal tank but i dont know of a good candidate. maybe a crayfish or snails of somekind. :;dk

2. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

2g is not a lot of water, not much that can live in that happy.
    If ur willing to change water 2 times a week (waste builds up fast innthat little water)
    -A single mystery snail (still on the small side and these guys create a lot of wast
    -a neo shrimpncolony, but u should onlyvhave 10 in that small a tank and they will breed. Need a plan for the babies that doesn't include the 2g
    3-5 ramshorn snails- but another prolific breeder when well fed, need a plan for babies

You've seen how "well" a Betta does in such a small space.......2g is difficult to stock, and some work to cycle.....if I overfeeding AT ALL in my 3g with neos I get a spike in ammonia and have to do daily water wchanges for a few days.

3. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

You could plant it a little and put cherry shrimp in there :) or ghosties.

4. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Shrimp make fun little "pets" :)

5. OP
    OP
    j

ok. im gonna plant it and shrimps. that sounds good. i didnt even think about the cycle. it took my 55gallon tank about a year to cycle and stabilize. i like the cherry shrimps. what do they eat?

6. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

Can one of those mini filters fit in there? Just might open a few doors for you. You could also use a handful of gravel from your cycled tank to help populate the bacteria in the little one.

7. AquariaUK

AquariaUK Valued Member Member

Yeah, a shrimp tank is pretty much the only thing possible. Planting one is meant to be really fun, with loads of moss and plants to choose from :)

8. OP
    OP
    j

a small filter will fit. i plan on getting one.

i need to find a really hardy plant to put in it. im making a canopy with a plant light. then im getting the filter in.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  9. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

I put some sort of sword in my tank a week ago. It didn't have aflower stalk when I got it and its almost to the top of the tank already! Its a 55 mbuna tank. I just put plants in because I like them. I don't go all out and trim, fertilize or anything. If they grow they grow. So swords seem pretty hardy to me. Put java moss in on Thursday and its already doubled. That's really easy going. Expecially with my cichlids tearing around all the time lol

10. OP
    OP
    j

good deal. i saw some java moss at the pet store i think. if its what im thinking of, it will look great in there. i think ive heared that they are pretty hardy. thanks

11. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

Moss of just about any sort and Java ferns aregreat low maint plants, low light little/none ferts

12. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

Java ferns will quickly outgrow a 2 gallon...
    Java moss and Anubias species are about the only low-light plants you can get which are (and stay) small enough for so small a tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice