What Will Happen With My Cycling And Plants..

peterphonic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,

Started cycling may 6. Right now I have 2-3 ppm of ammonia, no nitrite yet. I planted yesterday may 13, all easy plants. Annubia, taxiphyllum spiky, cryptocerum etc. So, I read that it is ok to plant while cycling. But on tropica web site Tropica's 90 days startup-service for aquariums - Tropica Aquarium Plants, it says that I should add shrimp on day 3 after I planted. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure I won't be able to add shrimp in 3 days from now, I will still have ammonia in my tank.

Questions
1- Will I be invaded by algae if I can't add shrimp really soon?
2- Do I have an alternative to the shrimps to try to control algae? (I'll add shrimps when my cycling will be completed, but from my reading, it could take 10 days more at least! )
3- When I took out the plants from their pots to put in my tank, for some of them, I was not able to completely remove the cotton wool from the roots. Is the wool can rot?

Thx

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Pierre-Luc Boily said:
Questions
1- Will I be invaded by algae if I can't add shrimp really soon?
2- Do I have an alternative to the shrimps to try to control algae? (I'll add shrimps when my cycling will be completed, but from my reading, it could take 10 days more at least! )
3- When I took out the plants from their pots to put in my tank, for some of them, I was not able to completely remove the cotton wool from the roots. Is the wool can rot?
1. No, don't leave lights on too long and you'll be fine, I'd start with about 6 hours a day of light. Maybe 4 hours in the morning ad a couple hours for viewing in the evening and you'll be fine. You can increase it slowly once everything else is settled out by 30 minutes or so a week and when algae shows up back up.

2. See #1 to control algae.

3. It's fine so long as you removed as much as possible you're fine.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think the tropica article goes off the assumption that you use pre-cycled media from another tank or you've planted heavily enough to rely on plants to deal with ammonia.

It won't be an issue if you don't add shrimp, like the above says only keep lights on for 6 hours at most. Daily 30-50% water changes also help keep algae spores down.

peterphonic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!

So, my tank is still cycling. I know it can take quite long time to be complete, but I want to be sure everything I am doing is OK.

So, like I said earlier, tropica is saying that I should do water change at dey # 3 after planting (to avoid algae). As you can see below, my reading dropped, which is normal I know.

Questions :
1. Tropica says I should do water change on day 7. I am wondering if this will too much lower my ammonia and nitrites and stop the nitrate process?

2. Should I add a source of ammonia in my tank?

Thx

screenshot.5.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom