What will happen, adding two angelfish to 75g Keyhole Cichlid tank tomorrow!

ChrisX

I've had two angels in 29QT for the past month. They were quarter size, but they have grown 2cm easily. Now I would say they are silver dollar size and almost 3" long, 4" tall.

The two of them have divided up the 29g tank. I dont think they are a pair. What will happen when I add the two of them into a planted 75g tank with 7 mature Keyhole cichlids 4-4.5"?

A) Keyhole cichlids will mostly ignore them. Angels will be shy but then join in at feeding time. They will eventually all get along.

B) Keyhole cichlids will bully them. Angles will hide in the plants. I will have to put them back in the 29g tank.

C) Angelfish will be aggressive towards keyholes.

D) The two anglefish will become friends and hang out, now that they are in bigger waters with bigger fish.

E) The anglefish will still fight with each other, even though they are outnumbered by larger fish.

Tank will be at 77*.

IMG_20200928_173652.jpg

IMG_20200928_173656.jpg

Leeman75

I go with A. The Keyholes will pay them no mind. The Angels will be able to have their own territory so even if they don't pair, they should have their own Kingdom.

TClare

I sort of go with A, but the angels still might fight amongst themselves (E)??

UnknownUser

I’d go with A/D first (ignored by cichlids but sortve friends) and then as they mature, E, they will start fighting with each other.

ChrisX

This is right after adding them. Keyholes checked them out.

The angels have been out and about, they swam the length of the tank a few times. They bickered a few times. Now they are hanging out, just watching things. Life goes on.

UnknownUser

ChrisX said:
This is right after adding them. Keyholes checked them out.

The angels have been out and about, they swam the length of the tank a few times. They bickered a few times. Now they are hanging out, just watching things. Life goes on.

Those keyholes look so confused! :emoji_laughing:

DoubleDutch

I'd expect A but the Keyholes will investigate and not ignore.

faydout

Pretty sure it'll be some combo of A & E. I'd imagine the Keyholes will get along fine with the Angels, they won't necessarily ignore them, but they won't intimidate the Angels at all. As far as the Angels go, one will look at the other one with a wonky eye at some point, and it'll be fight time.

ChrisX

Cichlid gang.

They all seem to get along.

IMG_20200930_085057.jpg

ChrisX

These two angels are working out so well, I'm tempted to buy two more angels.

The alternative is a school of something like Bleeding Hearts or Congo tetras.

faydout

Not my keyhole tank, but I need to pick up some more Sterbai for my 54 (8 are not enough). Besides that a pair of Angels are the last thing I have planned for stocking. Maybe, since I wasn't able to get the 2nd Apisto female, I might end up with a pair of Bolivians but that'll be a ways off if I do.

Leeman75

ChrisX said:
These two angels are working out so well, I'm tempted to buy two more angels.

The alternative is a school of something like Bleeding Hearts or Congo tetras.
When I kept Angels, other than being voraicious eaters, they really were quite peaceful with all my other fish. Amongst themselves...well, that's another story. But I was inexperienced and had 3 that grew pretty big in a 55 gallon, fully stocked tank. I kind of stacked the cards against them.

So happy that yours are doing well and there is peace in all the land!! :)

ChrisX

I have bought two more quarter sized ones that are in the 29QT / growout tank. They will be added into the 75g tank when they are closer in size to the other angels.

The plan is to have 7 Keyholes, 4 angels, 2 SAE in the 75g. (Maybe later add some Sterbai cories. The juliis I have are too small IMO) The angles and keyholes seem to hang out together in the center of the tank. The two original angles are no longer fighting over food.

The angels I bought a month ago were not much larger than these two new ones, but they have grown a ton. Going to pump the new ones full of food for a month and see where they are. Hopefully they will all get along, but if not I can put any number of them in a 55g.

Decided against a tetra school as I don't think they are the right scale for this tank, dont want to deal with fin nipping, and I dont think they will mix with the keyholes/angels.

Leeman75

ChrisX said:
I have bought two more quarter sized ones that are in the 29QT / growout tank. They will be added into the 75g tank when they are closer in size to the other angels.

The plan is to have 7 Keyholes, 4 angels, 2 SAE in the 75g. (Maybe later add some Sterbai cories. The juliis I have are too small IMO) The angles and keyholes seem to hang out together in the center of the tank. The two original angles are no longer fighting over food.

The angels I bought a month ago were not much larger than these two new ones, but they have grown a ton. Going to pump the new ones full of food for a month and see where they are. Hopefully they will all get along, but if not I can put any number of them in a 55g.

Decided against a tetra school as I don't think they are the right scale for this tank, dont want to deal with fin nipping, and I dont think they will mix with the keyholes/angels.
Eventually the Tetras would be great FOR the Angels, not so much WITH the Angels!!

Love your tank plan!

Top Bottom