What will go with my angry gourami?

fionah
I had 2 red robin gouramis, and one has died after getting weak being constantly chased by the other one.

Now the remaining one, Fifi, is getting very big, and I'm wondering if FifI is in fact a thick lipped gourami. I have tried putting in some guppies and 2 other honey gouramis, but FifI is also chasing those. FifI has now been relegated to the hospital tank.

I don't want to get rid of Fifi, as I have become quite attached to her despite her bad temper. So I've decided to buy a new tank for her! Thinking of getting a 5-10 gallon tank as I don't really have the space for much more.

Are there any other types of fish that FifI MIGHT get on with? It would seem a waste to have to buy one new tank and equipment (spending over £100) just for one fish.

The only other things currently in the tank that FifI doesn't bother with are the corydoras, neon tetras and amano shrimp. However, if there are other fish out there I'd like to get them instead so I have a variety between the two tanks.

capekate
HI Fionah
If your 'thick lipped' Gourami is in fact a Kissng Gourami (Helostoma rudolfi) they have been known to grow to 12 inches, but are usually much smaller than that on the average. Even at 6 inches, I'm afraid that a 5 gallon or even a 10 gallon is going to be too small for her. The reason I suspect a kissing gourami, is that you mention it is getting quite large ( how big is it now?) and mentioning the fleshy lips indicate by the description that it is a kissing Gourami. If you had two in the tank I can see where they would get aggressive with each other, as Gouramis do.
trying to figure out what will go with the gourami, you would need a larger tank for some fish options.
My dwarf Gouramis seemed to only bother each other and I had them in with platy and mollies at the time, they didnt bother each other. Its been so long now I cannot remember what else would go with them. At the moment I have sunset Gourami's with my Discus and they get along fine. But the sunsets are so much smaller and a very peaceful gourami.
So maybe the first thing would be to decide on a larger tank than a 10g, cycle it and do some research on what fish are compatible and others here sure can give you some ideas on that as well.
good luck with your Fifi...;D

~ kate

fionah
Hello, here is a picture of the gourami.
It was advertised in the LFS as a red robin gourami.
It is about 2 inches long (double the size it was when I got it about 1 month ago).

As far as I know, a thick lipped gourami is Trichogaster labiosus and grows to a maximum of 3 inches, whereas a kissing gourami is Helostoma temminckiI which is much larger, as you suggested. When I looked up these two types, my fish looked like a thick lipped, but nothing like a kissing gourami.

capekate
Ok.. thanks for the photo. ;D
Looking at it, it does not look like the Kissing Gourami. There is actually a Gourami called a "thick-lipped Gourami. It has a smaller head than others.
Its hard to say which yours is but I doubt now that it is a kissing Gourami. Any chance of another photo showing the head more clearly? If it is the 'thick lipped' species,( Colisa labiosa) they grow to 4 inches and not the size of the larger kissing gourami. You can get away with a ten gal for this one fish. By looking at the dorsal fin in your photo, it looks like a male and not a female. And if you had two males in the tank I can see why you had the aggression going on.
Its a very pretty Gourami btw...love its coloration! ;D

~ kate

As far as I know, a thick lipped gourami is Trichogaster labiosus and grows to a maximum of 3 inches, whereas a kissing gourami is Helostoma temminckiI which is much larger, as you suggested. When I looked up these two types, my fish looked like a thick lipped, but nothing like a kissing gourami.
HI Fionah
These latin names can get confusing for sure lol.
The Thick Lipped Gourami, in its subfamily is yes, called a Trichogasterinae. Labiosus. I was using their synonym names when I described them, sorry for that confusion. Kissing Gourami- Helostoma Temminckii, synonym: Helostoma rudolfi.
But anyway.. I noticed that the thick lipped Gourami has the peach colored variety, such as yours? Photos looked alike..
When I posted that they grow to a max size of 4 inches, its the size that has been reported, and that they usually grow much smaller than that. Max sizes listed are usually just that, 'max' size and not usually the norm.
~ kate

fionah
Here is the other photo I have. This was taken when I first purchased the two gouramis. FifI has now doubled in size. To start with, Ally chased FifI around. However, Ally didn't grow and was later bullied by Fifi. Sadly Ally passed away last week.

The gourami definitely isn't a peachy colour, that might just be my dodgy camera! It is a red/deep orange colour.

I still wasn't sure of the sex of Fifi. You said you think it is a male based on the dorsal fin? To me the dorsal fin looks rounded, which indicates a female.

COBettaCouple
Unfortunately, the pecking order with 2 often ends with the weaker one getting picked on endlessly. The trick to adding 2 gourami would be finding 2 that are the same size and type as he is. I'd probably try to put corys or BN plecos in a 20 or 30 gallon with him.

capekate
HI fionah
Tho I haven't heard of the [red robin] Gourami, I am familier with the Sunset Gourami, which is in the Honey Gourami family. Only difference is the color.
Here is a photo of my sunsets.. you can see that it looks like your Gourami and mine are the same kind. My Gourami are not thick lipped Gourami or kissing Gourami.. but a Honey Gourami. Sometimes LFS have their own names that they label fish... due to the coloration.
~ kate

Here_fishy_fishy
I had a dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon with a swordtail and a molly they did fine together but when I put anputher gourami in there ahh it was chaos!! so maybe u can try a swordtail or 2.. mine loved my gourami but I also got them two together they were in the same tank when I got them. just a suggestion

fionah
HI fionah
Tho I haven't heard of the [red robin] Gourami, I am familier with the Sunset Gourami, which is in the Honey Gourami family. Only difference is the color.

HI Capekat. How big are your sunset gouramis?
I was wondering before if maybe my gourami was a 'sunset'. But now FifI is about 2 inches, where as Ally was only 1 inch!

capekate
HI Capekat. How big are your sunset gouramis?
I was wondering before if maybe my gourami was a 'sunset'. But now FifI is about 2 inches, where as Ally was only 1 inch!
HI Fionah
My larger sunset is almost 2 inches, the smaller one is probably around 1.5-1.3/4 inches. After doing some research I see that the names, sunset and also the red robin are both used for the same fish. It just depends on who is selling them. I have researched Gourami sites w/ photos and found that the red robins look like our fish, as does the sunsets, and is why I have come to this conclusion. Basically our fish are in the dwarf Gourami class of fish and will grow to about 2.25-2.5 inches at adult size.
Either way.. they are great fish.. sunsets or robins ... and great to have in an aquarium. ;D

~ kate

fionah
HI Fionah
My larger sunset is almost 2 inches, the smaller one is probably around 1.5-1.3/4 inches. After doing some research I see that the names, sunset and also the red robin are both used for the same fish. It just depends on who is selling them. I have researched Gourami sites w/ photos and found that the red robins look like our fish, as does the sunsets, and is why I have come to this conclusion. Basically our fish are in the dwarf Gourami class of fish and will grow to about 2.25-2.5 inches at adult size.
Either way.. they are great fish.. sunsets or robins ... and great to have in an aquarium. ;D

~ kate

Well FifI would be great to have in the aquarium if she is willing to share it with others!

Got home from work there and FifI was looking so miserable in her hospital tank, I could almost hear her crying. Put her back in the main tank for now, and will keep an eye on things for the next couple of hours.

Think I will need to buy a new tank though. I can't believe I'm going to spend another £100+ (never mind the added maintenance) just for the sake of one fish!! LFS said they'd take her back but I feel I cannot part with her, and I'd be heartbroken if I went back to the LFS the following week and saw her there on her own with no home to go to!

capekate
HI Fionah
I can understand not wanting to get rid of a favorite fish...:-\
I don't remember if you mentioned why she's by herself? If the other gourami is now gone, is she fighting with other fish in your tank? Is this the reason for her to be on her own in the QT? Or is she sick?

~ kate
EDIT:
sorry just went and re-read your first post... I see she was being aggressive...
that's a shame... its really too bad she doesn't get along with the others, it would be too easy! :-\

fionah
After Ally died, I bought 2 honey gouramis and 2 guppies. I thought the honey gouramis would be ok because they are a completely different colour, but I guess not! And FifI doesn't even like the guppies either. Are they too pretty for her?!

My own fault, I suppose

capekate
After Ally died, I bought 2 honey gouramis and 2 guppies. I thought the honey gouramis would be ok because they are a completely different colour, but I guess not! And FifI doesn't even like the guppies either. Are they too pretty for her?!

My own fault, I suppose
LOL.. maybe she's jealous of the pretty lil guppies!
Nooo its not your fault...
I guess sometimes its just the personality of the fish.. some are timid, some are gentle and some go against everything we know about the species.
You seem to have a little 'she devil'... How are the other gouramis doing with the guppies? Do they get along ok?

fionah
The 2 guppies and 2 honey gouramis are getting along ok, just ignoring each other! But the honeys are tiny so probably are babies just now. Hope they don't turn into little monsters!

capekate
Well, I hope the Honey Gourami will work out for you. I have had dwarf Gouramis and they were terrors to each other, especially the males. I had blue spot and gold Gouramis and they actually were ok, but liable to have some aggression at times. Now that I have the two sunsets, which are in the Honey Family, I find they are very peaceful.. very shy and do not bother each other.
So with that.. I hope that your Honey's will have the same personality and be good with your guppies.;D

~ kate

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
fishl0rer
  • Question
Replies
Views
WendiWoo
Replies
Views