What will go with a Green Terror and Blue Acara in an 85G? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Jeffcameron, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Jeffcameron

JeffcameronValued MemberMember

Hi, Would love to get opinions on what I should put with my Green Terror and Blue Arara that will be moved into my 85G on their own in about a week or so.

The Green Terror is around 7 inches and the Blue Acara 5.5 inches.

The tank will have no live plants but will have a few fake plants in there with limestone and some driftwood.

2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I would leave them as the only fish in the tank. Male Terrors get to about 30cm & Blue Acaras up to 25cm. I think an 85gal tank is just about right for them without room for any extra fish. MAYBE you could squeeze in a Bristlenose if you have excellent filtration & do frequent water changes but that would be about it.

3. OP
    OP
    Jeffcameron

That's a bummer. Seems like too much space for 2 fish. I was hoping to add 1 or 2 more. I also would have thought a BN would get beaten up but I'm sure you know more than me :) Thanks Nutter.

4. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

BN's are tough & quite inconspicuous. They tend to go unnoticed among most cichlids. American cichlids demand lots of room. The bigger & more aggressive they are the more space they need. I've got 180gal american cichlid tank & even I can only squeeze 6 fish into that & they are all peacefull on american cichlid standards. Sorry the news wasn't better. Perhaps other members will have other ideas & be able to make recommendations on what might work for you. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Jeffcameron

Yeah no worries Nutter. I want to make sure I do the right thing which is why I ask in the first place. I'm not even sure I'm doing the right thing by swapping my stock between the two tanks. I think I may be overstocking the 35G with the stock from my 85G but I figure it's better to do that then keep the Cichlids in the 35G.

Oh and it wasn't my choice to have them in a 35G I got them from a mate who didn't know any better. Heck I wouldn't have known either prior to joining this site 4 months ago.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  6. OP
    OP
    Jeffcameron

Hi again, so I'm gathering everyone agrees with Nutter and there's nothing else anyone can think of that will work with these guys? If not no major problem I'll just go with the two of them but did want another 1 or 2 of something.

7. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

Your problem will be the GT, although they are not nearly as tough as many people make them out to be IMO. You might be able to add more fish with the Gt or maybe not, only way to know is to try. Lots of caves and rocks will help. If you were to get rid of the Gt many more options would possibly work.
    With it the way it is something along the lines of a bulky/chunky fish may work. Possibly a Aequidens Metae or Aequidens Diadema, or something similiar that gets fairly large and bulky but not too pushy.

Brian

8. OP
    OP
    Jeffcameron

Thanks Brian for the suggestions. Parting with the GT is not an option as I got it from a mate and he really wanted it to go to a good home. WIll definitely consider your suggestions when making my final decision. The Acaras you suggested do look quite nice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice