What / When are my Corys eating?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by jamesonuk, Jul 3, 2016.

1. jamesonuk

jamesonuk Valued Member Member

I have 5 Sterbai Corys in a tank with 10 Dwarf Rainbowfish and 12 Black Neon Tetras.

The corys are really active and seem pretty happy but they just don't seem interested in food....

I have some New Era catfish pellets and also some Hikari sinking wafers but they just seem to ignore them.

The dwarf rainbowfish actually grab a load of the catfish pellets on the way down but even when I have distracted the rainbows with food and dropped pellets / wafers almost on top of the corys they don't stop swimming. The dwarf rainbows then generally locate the pellets and gobble them up.

I even tried putting the wafers inside a cave where the corys seem to go through but the wafers were still there untouched 24 hours later. An indeed in one of the bigger caves, the greedy dwarf rainbows just went in there and hoovered them up.

Given they are still looking pretty healthy and swimming around like mad I presume they are eating but not sure what... Should I be concerned or are the OK to fend for themselves and will barge the rainbows out the way if they are hungry?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Have you tried feeding after lights out when the other fish are sleeping? That would at least give the corys a chance at the food.

And do they look thin to you?

3. OP
    OP
    jamesonuk

They don't look emancipated, they look shiny, active and healthy.

I did try feeding a few minutes after the lights went out and surprisingly the rainbows were straight on it ...

Might try and leave it a little longer before feeding. Light are on 6am to 9am and 6pm to 9pm so might look at adding some food about 10:30 tonight

4. el337

I hope they're emancipated or else I will have to look up to see if there are any new cory suppression laws over there in the UK. :;laughing

5. OP
    OP
    jamesonuk

bad spelling and predictive text!!!
    Perhaps they need emancipating from a tyrant who keeps them locked up in a glass box and doesn't let them eat properly

But they are not emaciated!!!

6. el337

Hehe.. well, glad to know they are not emaciated.

How about crushing the pellets and sprinkling them around the tank? Your rainbowfish can't be everywhere at one time. Sometimes it looks like corys are going right past the food but they do eventually get to them. I also like to feed my corys frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. They really love those.

7. Charles556

Charles556 Valued Member Member

^Agreed. Corys can be very deceptive when eating. I feed them Hikari sinking wafers, algae wafers, frozen bloodworms, brine and mysis shrimp without a problem, but for their main diet, I use Omega One mini sinking pellet. They're small enough to fit in the smallest ciory's mouth, and while the rainbowfish will snatch a lot of the pellets on their way down, there should be enough for the corys if you drop enough.

8. OP
    OP
    jamesonuk

The rainbows are actually picking up the pellets that hit the substrate not just the falling ones.

I added another 5 corys today as I had been planning so now have 10 to check on :)

I also picked up some frozen food as have read they cannot resist blood worm.

I put one cube of Daphnia and Moina in some tank water and left it a few minutes before adding to the tank hoping to keep the rainbows and tetra occupied.

I added a cube of blood worm, it would not sink so wedged it between two pebbles right next to the corys. A couple seemed a little interested and ate one but again the others just didn't seem interested. Took a while for the rainbows to find these and I can see a few left in between the pebbles so will see if there are gone in the morning.

How many Hikari wafers do you feed? Lights are out now and I am going to turn room lights off and leave it 15 minutes before adding a few to a cave and see if they get eaten.

9. OP
    OP
    jamesonuk

The wafers I placed in the cave are still in the same place apparently untouched. I did add some catfish pellets whilst the rainbows were eating flakes this morning and a couple of corys did eat it.

Do others feed corys in secluded areas? Only one seems to want to eat if I drop pellets in the open swimming area in the middle of the tank but a couple more will eat if I drop them amongst the plants down the side of the tank (this is then a nightmare to remove any uneaten food)

10. el337

Hmm.. my corys don't seem to be particularly fussy about food or where they are dropped since they are scurrying all over the entire tank in search for food. I just drop them in front of the tank. They get pushed around anyway. Everything is gone when I check the tank a few min later.

11. OP
    OP
    jamesonuk

Tonight 5 or so were eating in the middle of the tank with the lights on. I am not sure whether these are the new or old batch (or a mix). The others seem more content with surfing the glass.

Stuck a bubbler in there as well as was very cute watching them surfing up and down in the bubbles.

12. OP
    OP
    jamesonuk

I did not expect that...

Thought I would try the fish on some crushed peas. They were not fussed about blood worm but went mental for peas!!!!

13. el337

Peas will be ok once in a while but they are carnivores so they'll need meaty foods as a staple.

14. OP
    OP
    jamesonuk

Yeah main food will be the meaty pellets and wafers supplemented with frozen blood worms. Just surprised how enthusiastic they were about the peas...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice