What Wattage Of Heater?

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My heater went out 2 days ago and I'm frantically doing research for a new one. I wasn't super impressed with the one I bought but it was only $6.55 this one:

It also could only heat my tank to 86 with the dial all the way up, making me think it was too low of a wattage for my tank. Its a 20 gallon long. Do you think if I bought the same heater just 200 watts it would work better? Does anyone else have experience with blue aqua heaters? Was mine just a fluke or should I buy a different brand?

KO_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I wouldn't go back to that heater, the reviews are worrying and spending such a small amount of money on a heater is enough to turn me off. Especially with a cracked heater having potential to devastate your tank. I don't have a suggestion for an alternative as I have only used one but I wouldn't go back to that brand.

EDIT - I will say for a 20L anything from 150 to 200 will work fine.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Perfect, 200 watt it will be with a different brand. How much would you say is regular price for a 200 W heater?

KO_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Perfect, 200 watt it will be with a different brand. How much would you say is regular price for a 200 W heater?
Should be able to get a good heater for ~25 Dollars. It keeps you away from cheap ones but you wont be overpaying.

KO_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Like I said I haven't used other brand than what Ive always had (Aqueon, too expensive) but I did some research and the Hydor 200W has some very good reviews and is in the 25 dollar range. Might be a good starting point for you.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
200 watt sounds like the right choice. If you've never cooked a tank of fish, paying less money seems like a good choice. But if you get your tank just the way you want it and all your fish are doing great it really hurts to come home to a tank of cooked fish, and the $25 you saved buying a lesser heater won't seem like it was worth it. Heaters are not where to save money on your tank set up. The really good heaters are made better in most cases. The 2 types I use are Fluval E series and Cobalt neo therms. Everybody has there favorite, but I recommend a high quality heater.

Aquaholic3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I use a 100w heater in my 18.5 2ft tank a 200w in my 55g 4ft tank and they seem perfectly sized. my house has no heating and it can get pretty cold, it's just what has worked for me. 4-5WPG is a good sized heater for most applications.

I only use decent quality heaters. I once lost my biggest tank to a shoddy heater and will never use an inferior quality heater again.

Aquaholic3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am a big fan of the Eheim Jager's but they are a bit big, its best to check if it will fit in your tank. I have mine on an angle down low, I find it heats the tank better this way. I am sure fluval make excellent heaters but i have no experience with them.

Hydor make an inline heater, I have never used it but would be nice not to have it in the tank. Some people also like to use 2 heaters. I have never had a need for it but some people might find it useful.

Bizarro252

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Another vote for Eheim Jager's here, I have them in all of my tanks, after trying 2 or 3 other brands first, none held temp well, and none were very accurate. Including a Fluval one that I really wanted to like because I liked the digital screen - but that thing sucks.

All my tanks stay within 0.5 degrees anytime I check them.

Here are the sizes and gal recommendations:

Size Power Needed Heater Length
7-16 gallons 50 watt 9"
16-26 gallons 75 watt 10.2"
26-40 gallons 100 watt 12.2"
40-53 gallons 125 watt 12.2"
53-79 gallons 150 watt 13.4"
79-106 gallons 200 watt 15.7"
106-159 gallons 250 watt 17.3"
159-264 gallons 300 watt 19.6"

Aquaholic3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thats a handy list! I also have Aquamanta 200w running in a tank now it has been flawless, never had an issue with it. The temp is always perfect and for a mid price range heater, it's probably one of the best.

I never mentioned it because I dont think its sold in the US. It was 1/3rd the price of the Eheim in Australia but i still prefer the Eheim, its worth the money and in the US they are pretty reasonable.

Bizarro252

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thats a handy list!
Shamelessly stolen from the internet

I actually saved it because I was running 2x 300 watt Jagers in my 75 gallon, because after my experiences with lesser 200w heaters I thought I needed more watts! Whew was I wrong, I still need to get those downsized and sell off the 300w ones.

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I saw a rule for heaters that said 3 to 5 watts per gallon.

I'm running a 100 watt Eheim in my 20 high, no real problems with it (heater set at 74 tank is at 76).

I'm also running Cobalt Aquatics Accu-Therm 25 and 75 watt heaters in 7 and 16 gallon tanks. Problem free.

Bizarro252

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I saw a rule for heaters that said 3 to 5 watts per gallon.

I'm running a 100 watt Eheim in my 20 high, no real problems with it (heater set at 74 tank is at 76).

I'm also running Cobalt Aquatics Accu-Therm 25 and 75 watt heaters in 7 and 16 gallon tanks. Problem free.
You know you can re-calibrate that Jager right? So it will at least read what it is set to/the tank is at.

Aquaholic3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Would this work?
After reading some reviews quickly it looks like its prone to cracking or leaking. People do tend to only write reviews when the item fails but a few of them were updates.

I am actually getting annoyed by a 25w AquaOne heater as i type this it is so loud tick on tick off every few minutes lol

Last edited:

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You know you can re-calibrate that Jager right? So it will at least read what it is set to/the tank is at.
It's been calibrated once already when the temp in the 20 was using a higher temp.

Going to do it again to get it right (hopefully) before the heat of summer arrives when I'll be fighting the house ambient temperature and not the heater.

CHoman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Another vote for the Eheim! I went through 2 cheaper, non adjustable heaters that wouldn't hold the temp, even at high wattage. I've never had an issue with the Eheim, even in my cold house

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom