What Wattage Of Heater?

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Culprit, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

My heater went out 2 days ago and I'm frantically doing research for a new one. I wasn't super impressed with the one I bought but it was only $6.55 this one: Amazon.com : 100 Watts (Tank Size: 20 to 33 Gallon) Adjustable Aquarium Heater Anti-explosion Submersible Fish Tank Water/ Temperature Range 18~33'c (65°f and 93°f.) : Pet Supplies

It also could only heat my tank to 86 with the dial all the way up, making me think it was too low of a wattage for my tank. Its a 20 gallon long. Do you think if I bought the same heater just 200 watts it would work better? Does anyone else have experience with blue aqua heaters? Was mine just a fluke or should I buy a different brand?

2. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

I wouldn't go back to that heater, the reviews are worrying and spending such a small amount of money on a heater is enough to turn me off. Especially with a cracked heater having potential to devastate your tank. I don't have a suggestion for an alternative as I have only used one but I wouldn't go back to that brand.

EDIT - I will say for a 20L anything from 150 to 200 will work fine.

3. OP
    OP
    Culprit

Perfect, 200 watt it will be with a different brand. How much would you say is regular price for a 200 W heater?

4. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

Should be able to get a good heater for ~25 Dollars. It keeps you away from cheap ones but you wont be overpaying.

5. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

6. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

200 watt sounds like the right choice. If you've never cooked a tank of fish, paying less money seems like a good choice. But if you get your tank just the way you want it and all your fish are doing great it really hurts to come home to a tank of cooked fish, and the $25 you saved buying a lesser heater won't seem like it was worth it. Heaters are not where to save money on your tank set up. The really good heaters are made better in most cases. The 2 types I use are Fluval E series and Cobalt neo therms. Everybody has there favorite, but I recommend a high quality heater.

7. Aquaholic3

Aquaholic3 Valued Member Member

I use a 100w heater in my 18.5 2ft tank a 200w in my 55g 4ft tank and they seem perfectly sized. my house has no heating and it can get pretty cold, it's just what has worked for me. 4-5WPG is a good sized heater for most applications.

I only use decent quality heaters. I once lost my biggest tank to a shoddy heater and will never use an inferior quality heater again.

8. OP
    OP
    Culprit

What brand do you use?

9. Aquaholic3

I am a big fan of the Eheim Jager's but they are a bit big, its best to check if it will fit in your tank. I have mine on an angle down low, I find it heats the tank better this way. I am sure fluval make excellent heaters but i have no experience with them.

Hydor make an inline heater, I have never used it but would be nice not to have it in the tank. Some people also like to use 2 heaters. I have never had a need for it but some people might find it useful.

10. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Another vote for Eheim Jager's here, I have them in all of my tanks, after trying 2 or 3 other brands first, none held temp well, and none were very accurate. Including a Fluval one that I really wanted to like because I liked the digital screen - but that thing sucks.

All my tanks stay within 0.5 degrees anytime I check them.

Here are the sizes and gal recommendations:

Size Power Needed Heater Length
    7-16 gallons 50 watt 9"
    16-26 gallons 75 watt 10.2"
    26-40 gallons 100 watt 12.2"
    40-53 gallons 125 watt 12.2"
    53-79 gallons 150 watt 13.4"
    79-106 gallons 200 watt 15.7"
    106-159 gallons 250 watt 17.3"
    159-264 gallons 300 watt 19.6"

11. Aquaholic3

Thats a handy list! I also have Aquamanta 200w running in a tank now it has been flawless, never had an issue with it. The temp is always perfect and for a mid price range heater, it's probably one of the best.

I never mentioned it because I dont think its sold in the US. It was 1/3rd the price of the Eheim in Australia but i still prefer the Eheim, its worth the money and in the US they are pretty reasonable.

12. Bizarro252

Shamelessly stolen from the internet :p

I actually saved it because I was running 2x 300 watt Jagers in my 75 gallon, because after my experiences with lesser 200w heaters I thought I needed more watts! Whew was I wrong, I still need to get those downsized and sell off the 300w ones.

13. OP
    OP
    Culprit

14. Bizarro252

Will it work? Yes :) Would I recommend it over the Ehiem? Nope :D

15. Aquaholic3

16. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

I saw a rule for heaters that said 3 to 5 watts per gallon.

I'm running a 100 watt Eheim in my 20 high, no real problems with it (heater set at 74 tank is at 76).

I'm also running Cobalt Aquatics Accu-Therm 25 and 75 watt heaters in 7 and 16 gallon tanks. Problem free.

17. Bizarro252

You know you can re-calibrate that Jager right? :D So it will at least read what it is set to/the tank is at.

18. Aquaholic3

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  19. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

It's been calibrated once already when the temp in the 20 was using a higher temp.

Going to do it again to get it right (hopefully) before the heat of summer arrives when I'll be fighting the house ambient temperature and not the heater.

20. CHoman

CHoman Valued Member Member

Another vote for the Eheim! I went through 2 cheaper, non adjustable heaters that wouldn't hold the temp, even at high wattage. I've never had an issue with the Eheim, even in my cold house :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice