What water testing kit should I buy?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by riptide904, Dec 29, 2012.

1. r

riptide904 Valued Member Member

After the sudden death of every one of my glass shrimp while I was on vacation, I decided I need to stop putting off getting a water testing kit so I can make sure my fish are safe. Does anyone know of one that can test nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and pH that cost under $20-25?

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good afternoon,

I use Ken's above.

Ken

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

The API kit linked is good, it's what most people use. I think the amazon one is the cheapest if you factor in shipping costs.

5. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

I use the one lin link ed above but I also use the hagen mini master kit. Not sure on the price but I think I like it better.

6. ghardin

ghardin Valued Member Member

I also use the API one, I upgraded to this from cheap strips and I could not be happier!

7. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I use API Master test kit from Amazon which was a lot cheaper than purchasing from an LFS. To bypass the shipping charges I would try to look for another product that you will need for your tank and order it to get free shipping on orders of 25 dolllars and more.

8. Matt B

Getting amazon prime is also an option if, like me, you're an impatient person. ;) I love it, it was $80 for a year if I recall correctly but you get free 2-day shipping on amazon products with no minimum order. You also get some streaming movies and tv shows but they're not great.

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I LOOOOOOOOVE amazon prime. I often get stuff next day, even when I don't pay for it. But, I buy a lot of stuff from amazon so it's 80 well spent.

10. Matt B

Oh yeah, good point! I also get stuff next day sometimes if I order in the morning. I think within a month its paid for itself in shipping between me and my wife. ;)

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

And! You can add family members to your account for free, so that they enjoy the shipping benefits too.

12. Matt B

That one gets me sometimes. I'll pull up order history and be shocked at the items and then I'll remember my brother in law is on there. :;laughing

13. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

The API Master kit is good if you dont have anything currently. IF you have some of the kits and they are current then you can always piece together what you need.

Personally I usually only use pH and Ammonia as I have a different Nitrate kit, as well as an alkalinity kit.

14. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

API liquid test kit, gives me very accurate readings every time!

15. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

We talking raunchy here Matt?

16. Matt B

I can't really clarify, Fishlore being a family forum and all. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice