What water heater should I use for a 120 gallon tank?

arowanaman

How much wattage should I look for in a heater? And is 2 heaters better then 1?

Jaysee

welcome to the forum

Yes, 2 is better than one because you can put one at each end of the tank. As for wattage... 400 maybe, so two 200s.

arowanaman

Thanks! I'm a newbie who just got a 120 gallon tank and haven't gotten any fish yet but plan to get an arowana!

I read an article that said there should be 5 watts per gallon, So 5x120 = 600 watts. Would 2 300 watt heaters be suitable or is that overdoing it?

catsma_97504

I have always tried to have 3-5 watts of heat per gallon. And 2 heaters are better than one IMO.

Jaysee

How strong a heater you need is a function of how many degrees over room temperature you want the tank to be. If room temp is 72 and you want the tank 78, you don't need as high a wattage as if your room temp was 65.

arowanaman

My average room temp is 68 and I want my tank to be 75 to 82 degrees so I think I'll be getting two heaters with high wattage. Thanks for all of your help!

pirahnah3

I would agree and go with 2 300 watt heaters, The 2 200s would work they would just be working a lot harder to keep the temps up. As for sizing any equipment it should always be assumed that it runs best at 75-80% of its alleged design.

catsma_97504

Big Countries question has been moved to a thread of its own.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Dillan Murphy
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Dechi
  • Question
  • Dillan Murphy
  • Heater
Replies
Views