What water filter for fry tank?

Justdes

Reaction score
Hi
What water filter to use for a betta fry tank? In research, I saw many says that fry do get suck and harder for them to swim. Advise? :) which one do you use?

philam

Reaction score
I never use filter in fry tank beside natural plants for a natural filtration. In my opinion, they grow so much faster in a stagnant water. Everybody does it different but that’s just my .02

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My opinion a large sponge filter.
I have not personally raised or attempted to raise betta but I have listened to presentations on the subject from local club members and seen their set ups.
Because of the hormones fry release into the water you need to do multiple water changes to achieve maximum growth. Feeding four times a day and feeding live foods will not help if you don’t do water changes 2 or 3 times per week.

At least if you have more than a handful of fry that is the case. If you have great success Justdes you most likely will need to cull down the numbers to a more manageable number?
I suggest nobody can raise 500 fry? . Not if you want to give them the best chance of growing strong.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Generally with betta fry a sponge filter is added at some point. Some breeders add it before the parents even breed, others wait a few days after the spawn is free swimming, some wait a week or two, some wait until they're much older.

Personally, I am about to spawn a pair and I have a very well established sponge filter in there. This one is adjustable so right now I have it set so the output is above the water and its just barely trickling into the tank. As the fry get older I'll increase the power a bit. Its also like that because I have the water really low.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom