What was your first fish?

What was your first fish?

  • Guppy

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tetra

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barb

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goldfish

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • White Cloud

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

Gunnie

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,670
Reaction score
4
Goldfish were our first victims in the hobby about 3 years ago. I learned how not to kill my fish by searching on the internet and asking questions in forums like FishLore.
 

Crabbyj

New Member
Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
We also had goldfish. Gosh it was so long ago we didn't even have a computer at that time. I knew absolutely nothing about fish. We did buy a fish care book, but I think they only lived a few months or so.
 

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,471
Reaction score
12
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I had a Goldfish in a little torture chamber for about a week when I was really young. :'( Then when I was a little older I tried keeping them again, this time in 10 gallon tank, and I got them to live longer but knew nothing about cycling or water changes so they all died. :'( I also tried putting CAE's with them to clean up, and at one point I put a poor Betta in a bowl...they didn't last long. :'(

So, I like to think of my Platys (then Guppies, then Otos, and soon more... ;D)as my first fish since I actually know how to keep fish now. But I guess technically Goldies are the first ones.
 

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,627
Reaction score
22
Location
Nebraska
Experience
5 to 10 years
my first fish should be no surprise to anyone around here. I had a lovely betta named Azul (blue of course) He was a rescue from Walmart and unfortunately only lived 6 months until he died of dropsy. I have kept fish since last July and learned a lot from the members of this forum and reading, reading, and cultivating friends in the fish business, including members of the manufacturers of fish products, and fish vets. Everyone always has been so helpful, and I am grateful for every bit of information I have been given and all the help I have gotten that has helped me to take better care of the fish I still have. They are my babies and I love all of them like family and treat them like very spoiled children except where it is not good for them.

Rose
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
S

Skadunkadunk

Active Member
Member
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
I had an angelfish in a 20 gallon aquarium, but I didn't know about cycling, so it lived three days.
 

sick-lid boy

Active Member
Member
Messages
272
Reaction score
0
My very first fish was when I was a wee lad. My parents had a community tank with Kissing Gouramis, Neon Tetras, Guppies, and a couple Angel fish if I remember correctly. There was also a Red-Tail Shark which was my favorite fish, so my dad told me the Shark was 'mine'.

Around 35 years later, I got my own tank and the first fish(es) I got were five painted Glassfish.. four of whom promptly died. Then I discovered Fishlore.com, found out what was up, and was able to save the fifth Glassfish. He's still alive today and about 98% dye-free.
 

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,253
Reaction score
9
Location
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
sick-lid boy said:
Around 35 years later, I got my own tank and the first fish(es) I got were five painted Glassfish.. four of whom promptly died. Then I discovered Fishlore.com, found out what was up, and was able to save the fifth Glassfish. He's still alive today and about 98% dye-free.
Do you have a pic of it?
Tom
 

sick-lid boy

Active Member
Member
Messages
272
Reaction score
0
Tom said:
sick-lid boy said:
Around 35 years later, I got my own tank and the first fish(es) I got were five painted Glassfish.. four of whom promptly died. Then I discovered Fishlore.com, found out what was up, and was able to save the fifth Glassfish. He's still alive today and about 98% dye-free.
Do you have a pic of it?
Tom
Yup.

126.jpg
 

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,253
Reaction score
9
Location
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
sick-lid boy said:
Tom said:
sick-lid boy said:
Around 35 years later, I got my own tank and the first fish(es) I got were five painted Glassfish.. four of whom promptly died. Then I discovered Fishlore.com, found out what was up, and was able to save the fifth Glassfish. He's still alive today and about 98% dye-free.
Do you have a pic of it?
Tom
Yup.

126.jpg
Ohhhh, I thought you were talking about a glass catfish and not an Indian glass fish. You do know that the plant on the left is an aluminum plant and is toxic to the aquarium?
Tom
 

sick-lid boy

Active Member
Member
Messages
272
Reaction score
0
Tom said:
sick-lid boy said:
No I didn't. Seriously? I've had it in there for about a month. I should take it out?
Ya, you should, they will pollute your tank.

Tom
Care
***NOT a true aquarium plant*** This plant will die and pollute the tank if kept submerged.
Well, that's better than polluting my tank and THEN dying. I'll take it out just to be safe. The only reason I got it is because it was fairly large. I guess I'll try something else... The thing about getting plants from a fish store is you can't really pick and choose from plants you've researched, you're just limited to what they have in stock... which is usually not much.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
107
Guests online
2,324
Total visitors
2,431

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom