What Was The Reason My Bgk Died

1. Adil

Adil Initiate Member

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

We need more information to help

What is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the tank?
    What tank size?
    What is the full stocking?
    What were you feeding him?
    How long has the tank been setup?
    How long have you had him?
    How often do you change the water and how much do you change?

3. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?
    What other fish, if any, was he kept with?
    What is the tank size?

4. OP
    OP
    Adil

Adil Initiate Member

My tank is 47 gallon and I dont usually check the nitrate,nitrite or ph levels because I do 25% water change every week and don't feed the fish too much other fishes in the tank are 4 Cory's(1 panda and 3 emerald green s),1 golden bristlenose,1 common pleco,1 rainbow shark,1 algae eater,1 bala shark,2 kuhli loaches,1 weather loach,1 clown loach,1 eclipse catfish,1 pangasius all are 4 inch
    No one has bothered each other for last 2 months

About the bgk I fed him flake food,shrimps and algae pellets(flake food mostly because he likes it more than the rest),I had him around 3 months I got him when he was around an inch shorter

5. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Can you test your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? Doing 25% water changes won't prevent the ammonia,nitrite and nitrate from rising to dangerous levels. You also have many stocking problems:
    A common pleco can grow to 2 feet and need at least a 6 feet long tank.
    The bala shark is a schooling fish and need at least 150 gallons because they grow to 12 inches and are very active.
    Kuhli loaches do best in schools of 6 or more
    And the pangasius can grow to more than 3 feet and are not suitable for most indoor aquariums.

6. OP
    OP
    Adil

Adil Initiate Member

All my fishes are fine, I recently bought the bala shark the kuhli loaches and common pleco has been in my tank for 5 months without any problem,I got the kuhli loaches from a dying aquarium where nearly all the kuhli loaches were dead and the last 3 was bought by me,they have lived this far with no problems and much better than the time I bought them,I won't keep the pangasius,pleco or the bala shark if they grow up too big for the tank,I have a small pond where they can be moved to

7. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Other than looking at your parameters (although I think this may be the biggest issue), I wouldn't be too surprised if got bullied by your other fish; rainbow sharks are quite aggressive and may have targeted your BGK for being of similar size and/or look(aka, it was a threat to his territory, and with a tank as "small" as yours, he most likely claimed 80%, if not all, of the floor space). One of those stress-them-to-death type of situations

And your diet for him was not comprehensive enough; they are carnivores and need the extra protein as well as subsequent nutrients in their diet; although he liked fish food a lot, it probably didn't help him too much with maintaining his health.