What was the last fish you purchased?

FitSoldier

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I got this guy a few weeks ago from someone that didn't want it anymore. He's about 3 inches.

I haven't gotten any fish in a long time since then.

IMG_7438.JPG

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Feeder minnows. They were surprised i was going to have them as pets and have a whole tank just for them.

Shade89

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
3 Oto Catfish. I had some in the past that I got from PetSmart that didn't live too long but decided to try a different source by going to a smaller business fish store and these fish seem much more active and healthier.

MissPanda

Valued Member
Reaction score
I got 3 more shrimpington shrimps. However, I did get a free bladder snail with some plants so does that count? I didnt want to kill him so I had a plan to pop him back in the plant tank he came from at the pet store. When i went there, there was assasin snails in the tank. I felt bad and instead went to the dollar store and picked up a large vase. He now has his own condominium next to my 10 gallon. His name is herkamur.

Attachments

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been stocking a 55 gal tank. Last fish was a Malaysian halfbeak. Thought he was going to be a snack for my African Butterfly but hes very fast and they seem be be getting along after a few skirimishes.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
13 neon tetras from @Mcasella To add to the 4 I already had. Beautiful healthy little guys-n-girls. Super Red plecos just before that. Female (Evelyn) from @coralbandit and male (Little Red) from @Mcasella

The female (Evelyn) and Elbert gave me about 50 fry so they are the latest additions. The next additions will be fry from Evelyn and Little Red. :D

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MEWaters said:
what is he? beautiful
Which one? The first is an Apistogramma hongsloi. The second is a honeycomb/oil catfish, Centromochlus perugiae. Loving them both. Though the catfish is a rare sight.

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FitSoldier said:
I got this guy a few weeks ago from someone that didn't want it anymore. He's about 3 inches.

I haven't gotten any fish in a long time since then.

View attachment 637896
That takes me back.
I guess that after 3+ decades I still miss Mr. Fish and hate myself for my childhood poverty.

I got my first tank (15 gal w00t! only traded 3 birthdays and xmasses for it!) at 9. I'm not sure when I was able to afford a 10 gal (the smallest the LFS had). However old, that was my second tank. I ran the tank with pure white silica sand and banjo cats.. who died due to invisibility, kids do not feed that which they do not see. 6-9mo without food before dying.
My dad found a piece of junk at the dump, it was a HOB, my dream gear. I made foams and hooked that tank up and was ready for real fish.
I got a pike cichlid and all was good until we got back from vacation a week later... and smelled the smell in the house. Pike cichlid went up the intake and filled it... probably 30 seconds after we walked out the door.
So I put onion bag over the intake.
And then at the LFS there was a 4$ green terror. 10 weeks of allowance and he was mine. I named him Mr Fish.
I loved Mr Fish. He hated me and would flare and try to make it through the glass to kill me. We turned this into a game. I'd puff my cheeks and he'd try to kill me.
I taught him to jump a foot out of the tank to take food from my fingers.
Best fish I have ever owned. and I love me some Nibbles.
He was over 10" (1" per gallon, right kids?) when the silica sand destroyed the impeller in the HOB. I begged my mom for 2.50$ (6 weeks allowance.. and my friends were getting 10$ a week) to get a new one. She said "No".. He was dead in hours.
I considered eating him, with everything he ate and how into eating things he was, I figured he would want it that way, I just didn't think it would be safe. I like to think I wasn't crying when I put him in the garbage can but I probably was. I wish I would have put him in a bucket when the filter failed and Mom said "No" and taken him on my bike the ~10 miles to the local lake. He wouldn't have survived the winter but would have lived the rest of the summer.

I haven't owned a green terror since.
Maybe I can get an umbee, that would be close... but not too close.

As for most recent fish:
Today my wife brought home some dwarf rainbow fish.
Yesterday 2 blue phantoms with white seams. Not close to as good as the morph I found but if you want to breed for a morph you have to have more than 1 fish.

AcuarioAmazonico

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
CHJ said:
That takes me back.
I guess that after 3+ decades I still miss Mr. Fish and hate myself for my childhood poverty.

I got my first tank (15 gal w00t! only traded 3 birthdays and xmasses for it!) at 9. I'm not sure when I was able to afford a 10 gal (the smallest the LFS had). However old, that was my second tank. I ran the tank with pure white silica sand and banjo cats.. who died due to invisibility, kids do not feed that which they do not see. 6-9mo without food before dying.
My dad found a piece of junk at the dump, it was a HOB, my dream gear. I made foams and hooked that tank up and was ready for real fish.
I got a pike cichlid and all was good until we got back from vacation a week later... and smelled the smell in the house. Pike cichlid went up the intake and filled it... probably 30 seconds after we walked out the door.
So I put onion bag over the intake.
And then at the LFS there was a 4$ green terror. 10 weeks of allowance and he was mine. I named him Mr Fish.
I loved Mr Fish. He hated me and would flare and try to make it through the glass to kill me. We turned this into a game. I'd puff my cheeks and he'd try to kill me.
I taught him to jump a foot out of the tank to take food from my fingers.
Best fish I have ever owned. and I love me some Nibbles.
He was over 10" (1" per gallon, right kids?) when the silica sand destroyed the impeller in the HOB. I begged my mom for 2.50$ (6 weeks allowance.. and my friends were getting 10$ a week) to get a new one. She said "No".. He was dead in hours.
I considered eating him, with everything he ate and how into eating things he was, I figured he would want it that way, I just didn't think it would be safe. I like to think I wasn't crying when I put him in the garbage can but I probably was. I wish I would have put him in a bucket when the filter failed and Mom said "No" and taken him on my bike the ~10 miles to the local lake. He wouldn't have survived the winter but would have lived the rest of the summer.

I haven't owned a green terror since.
Maybe I can get an umbee, that would be close... but not too close.

As for most recent fish:
Today my wife brought home some dwarf rainbow fish.
Yesterday 2 blue phantoms with white seams. Not close to as good as the morph I found but if you want to breed for a morph you have to have more than 1 fish.
Dang, I pictured that entire process like I was watching Huckleberry Finn or something. You have to get yourself a green terror. We all want you to!

Mine is currently less than two inches long and little Kermit has a long journey before him. :) Join us:)

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Last planned buy...5 Bronze Cory's to finish off my main tank.
Last impulse buy...Veiltail Betta...luckily I had a planted 5 gallon set up that ended up being perfect for it but I had to scrap my idea of doing a nano school of rasboras, I can never find rasboras near me anyways so it all worked out...

I mean technically I always impulse buy shrimp but those haven't gotten me in trouble yet haha.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JettsPapa said:
I’m debating doing Otos in the 40 I just set up. But I just purchased cherry barbs to add to it so I’ll decide once they are done with quarantine.
Current inhabitants of the new 40 are my 5 large golden diamond barbs that I moved from the 75.
So yes, my last purchase (I’m acclimating a I type!) was 5 more cherry barbs to join my solo
girl ( it’s a long story lol) in the quarantine tank.
The last impulse purchase was glow and green tiger barbs from PetSmart because they looked so healthy and I already had one green glow tiger barb and liked them. I did lose one of the greens (he just didn’t grow and eventually died) but the others are doing great!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom