what vegies?

1. effiefish Initiate Member

hi there just wandering,what vegies can i give my fish? how long do i leave them in tank?also do i peel boil e.t.c i have 1 oscar 1 parrot and 2 pleco     ???

2. dahly Member Member

I feed a spinach leaf (in for 3 days) and yesterday a piece of banana, which I cleaned up this morning. Gunnie had suggested zucchini, cucumber and broccoli too. Attach them to a small stone with a rubber band. That's what they do at my lfs. My attempts didn't work out great as not much was eaten. Perhaps Gunnie and the others will share their experiences.

3. effiefish Initiate Member

thanks for the advice dahly ::)

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Most of the time I feed zucchini to my plecos. I had been using a veggie clip and just stuck it to the side of the tank, but the suction cup keeps letting go, so now I just stick a part of it under a rock.  I just purchased the Screwcumber and will let you all know how well it works.  It's coming from the UK though, so it's gonna take a little longer for me to get it. 

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

How is that a revolution all it is , is a piece of wire bent into a twirl shape. Doesn't really take a rocket scientist to do that.

If you dont know what I'm on about look at Gunnie's link above

6. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

As long as it makes my zucchini sink so my pleco can eat it, it's worth it to me. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best inventions!

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

8. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

What I do is: I partially place a slice of zucchini under a rock. It stays there until the next day. Well, the uneaten part from under the rock stays there, lol, because the rest is gone by the next day :) The rubber band seems like a better idea though.

9. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

You get 2 in a package, and I got it yesterday. It's marine grade stainless steel, and as simple as they are, they work! I had to use both on 1 piece of zuchinni, but I'm very happy with it! I will probably order another set for my other tank. I recommend them!

10. Jason Well Known Member Member

Fair enough! :D

Just thought you could probably do something like that at home rather than buying one

11. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

You probably could J-Man, but the metal coils are too thick to bend it by hand. I think I saw a DIY veggie holder where someone took the teeth part of a comb and siliconed it to a rock sticking straight up. You simply push the zucchini or whatever veggie you are using down into the teeth of the comb.

12. Jason Well Known Member Member

Crazy!