What veggies should i be feeding my nerite snails?

Nickguy5467

i had forgotten about this for a while. i mean aside from eating whatever they find in my take. what veggies should i add for them to eat? i blanched some celery i had extra of and put like two small chopped sized pieces in my tank and i guess i just wait now. but i dont think celery is something thats helpful in anyway . its just water and green plant? lul

StarGirl

Anything but celery.....lol J/K. Pretty much any green veggie. Mine dont eat much prepared food. Every once in a blue moon I will see a nerite on a veggie. I would try zucchini or a spinach leaf blanched first. Just make sure it isnt in longer than 24 hours or they can muck up your water?

Nickguy5467

Anything but celery.....lol J/K. Pretty much any green veggie. Mine dont eat much prepared food. Every once in a blue moon I will see a nerite on a veggie. I would try zucchini or a spinach leaf blanched first. Just make sure it isnt in longer than 24 hours or they can muck up your water?
cool. ill try that. my cory seem to be nibbling on it pretty well

"anything but celery". Dunk2 said no more freak outs. stop it you >.>

nanoist

I second the above suggestions but I will say, In my experience having a couple nerites it almost seems like I don’t have to feed them. They just eat and poop everyday whatever they can find lol

bumblinBee

Yeah, I was really excited to supplement my nerites' diets when I first got them, and then I came to the unfortunate conclusion that they honestly don't seem to care for veggies that much. Mystery snails at least show some interest in vegetables, but I've found my nerites will mostly ignore them. I only add veggies for my plecos and shrimps sake now.

There are a ton of vegetables you could try them on though. I've done: zucchini, cucumber, spinach, carrot, broccoli, peas, sweet potato, eggplant, and romaine lettuce. For the most part, the classics (cucumber, spinach, zucchini) tend to be the preferred veggies overall, but it's fun to mix things up and find out what yours like best!

As a side note.. I hear a lot of people saying you need to blanch your vegetables, but frankly I find cooking them fully makes them more palatable to fish and inverts. The softer they are, the better. A lot easier for them to break and tear off bites when it's as soft as you can get it. I hear the argument all the time that cooking vegetables reduces their nutritional value, but that isn't quite true. When you cook vegetables, it will change their chemical makeup - but it certainly doesn't render them useless. It can remove some nutritional compounds, but it can also make other ones more accessible for digestion than they were when the vegtable was raw. It may be worth providing a small raw piece, blanched piece, and cooked piece of whichever vegetable you plan to use into the tank at the same time in order to provide your critters a more complete version of the vegetable in question. That's good advice for human diets as well ahha.. just some food for thought

Nickguy5467

Yeah, I was really excited to supplement my nerites' diets when I first got them, and then I came to the unfortunate conclusion that they honestly don't seem to care for veggies that much. Mystery snails at least show some interest in vegetables, but I've found my nerites will mostly ignore them. I only add veggies for my plecos and shrimps sake now.

There are a ton of vegetables you could try them on though. I've done: zucchini, cucumber, spinach, carrot, broccoli, peas, sweet potato, eggplant, and romaine lettuce. For the most part, the classics (cucumber, spinach, zucchini) tend to be the preferred veggies overall, but it's fun to mix things up and find out what yours like best!

As a side note.. I hear a lot of people saying you need to blanch your vegetables, but frankly I find cooking them fully makes them more palatable to fish and inverts. The softer they are, the better. A lot easier for them to break and tear off bites when it's as soft as you can get it. I hear the argument all the time that cooking vegetables reduces their nutritional value, but that isn't quite true. When you cook vegetables, it will change their chemical makeup - but it certainly doesn't render them useless. It can remove some nutritional compounds, but it can also make other ones more accessible for digestion than they were when the vegtable was raw. It may be worth providing a small raw piece, blanched piece, and cooked piece of whichever vegetable you plan to use into the tank at the same time in order to provide your critters a more complete version of the vegetable in question. That's good advice for human diets as well ahha.. just some food for thought
i actually intended to blanch the cucumber pieces but i end up boiling them for like 8 or 10 minutes on accident. but i guess thats better?

StarGirl

No not better....Ok though... they just wont have much nutrition left in them. Cukes are pretty much water like celery. Zucchini is better nutrition wise.

bumblinBee

i actually intended to blanch the cucumber pieces but i end up boiling them for like 8 or 10 minutes on accident. but i guess thats better?
That's fine! It really depends on the vegetable, some are naturally softer than others and don't need to be cooked as long. For example, broccoli really needs to be cooked for quite a bit because it's got a very strong cell wall. Cucumber is pretty soft in it's raw state, so you don't need to cook it much, if at all, in order for it to be palatable to most creatures.

StarGirl

Chances are they wont touch it anyway. :p

Nickguy5467

Chances are they wont touch it anyways. :p
yeah mostly its my cory who are nibbling and pushing it around

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views