what ur thoughts on oscar fish?

1. LadyBug82 Member Member

what do u think of the oscar fish? do they have personality?

2. STLBluesFan Member Member

i had one for years... the best way to describe it is.. you basically have a dog in fish form. they always wiggle and swim around when your around, will follow you around.. they will eat right out of your hand. if mine wouldnt have grown out of my 55 gal tank, i would still have him today... easily the best fish ive ever had

3. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You need at least a 75 gallon tank to keep them long term. I believe they can live about 10 years. Make sure you know what you are doing when you buy one. They also eat a lot. This makes them poop a lot ;D

4. STLBluesFan Member Member

yes, heavy filtration is a must.. i feed mine tetra jumbo cichlid sticks, and i swear it was the same size coming out as it was going in

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Aquarium Stocking Questions to Cichlids/American Cichlids/Oscars section of the forum.

I had Oscars many years ago. Awesome fish :)

Ken

6. lorabell Well Known Member Member

I have a black tiger oscar....his name is Buppy(lol...like puppy) I adore him....he was teenie tiny when I got him....I guess over 2 years ago......now of course HUGE...hes in my 155 and anytime I do anything in there....hes right in the way.....lol....he also jumps when I feed them and all but drowns me!!!!!

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Used to have an Oscar. Really neat fish, even as a 5 year old :p He was smart too. Bit the hand that fed him to get more food <.<

I've heard that someones Oscar was so smart that he knew that his heater was sketchy, and every time feeders were added to the tank, he'd ram real hard into the heater, cause it to short out for a second, which stunned all the feeders, and he's eat them all before they recovered o_O

8. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I use to have an oscar as well. We called him joe fish but he was easily a member of the family. Anytime any of us were in the room he was following us back and forth he was SO cool. I want to get another if I ever upgrade my 125 planted I'm going to make that my oscar tank.

9. buzz4520 Member Member

oscars are AWESOME fish (imho) !!!! lots of personality. i've got 3 of them, had them since they're 3 inches and now at 13+.

10. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Never had one, always wanted one though. For the longest time in the tilapia tanks we had a huge albino male, around 5lbs. He would wait for me in the morning, and when i came near the tank he would sit at the top and fallow me. So of course, he waited for that red cup to drop food :p. Always a fun fish, sadly he met a tragic end. I ate him.

11. STLBluesFan Member Member

and why did you eat him?

12. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

nom nom nom food! I want to raise my own Tilapia!

13. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

yes there super neat. Would never get one though

14. Gamer Well Known Member Member

It's one of the fish that first got me interested in the hobby. That was the first fish I really wanted. Then I learned they get huge, can be messy, need lots of filtration and needs such a huge space if you want tank mates or more than one. I then decided they might be for me in the way distant future but definately not anytime soon. There were more issues than the ones I listed that kept me from getting one, but definately an awesome fish. Just not one I think I should keep right now.

15. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Oscars are a food fish. Not that I'd eat a pet. But I've kept chickens, and I eat chicken, and I keep fish and I eat fish (on occasion. Its yucky unless its fried <.<), and I want cows and pig (BACOOOOOOOON!) some day, and I looooooove me a good burger >=3

16. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I'm pretty sure Sol was talking about a Tilapia and not an Oscar.

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

None the less, many of the larger fish we keep are considered food in the countries they originate from.

18. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You know, I do have a tank full of shrimp...

19. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

.....cuz i was hungry? Besides, ive had Oscar too..... my uncle gets them out of the glades, fries them up when i come up. and let me just say, the Oscar, omg omg the Oscar, it is fabulous! Think bass mixed with carp.

Anyhow, i have read many accounts of people saying their Oscars are very personable animals, if i ever have the chance, i will own one.

20. STLBluesFan Member Member

i dont know if i could ever eat one of my pets lol , if it was caught out of a lake or something like that, then i could. but couldnt bring myself to eat something that i raised more or less.