What up with my betta? Help

1. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I been trying the mirror to get him to play or whatever. He doesn't seem to care and at most goes up and down the side of the tank a few times and then is like whatever.

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Some Bettas are just like that. I've had mine for 2 years and he never flares ( even with a mirror ) and its just part of his personality.

3. FiscCyning Member Member

How long have you had him? Did he used to like flaring at the mirror or is this the first time you've tried it? Some bettas just don't care about mirrors. I'd only be worried if his indifference is new behavior.

If this is something new, a little more information will help us figure out what might have caused it. What size tank is he in? Is it cycled, heated, and filtered? Does he have any tank mates?

4. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Only had him for a few days now. When we got him his fins were shredded but they seem to have grown back but haven't changed from clear to dark blue yet. Ppm meter says his water is at 97ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Sayba Well Known Member Member

My betta Reuben is like that, I've only tried a few times with a mirror and he seems to act like he isn't seeing it. I would love to see him flare but he us just too chill. Wouldn't worry about it.

6. mg13 Well Known Member Member

Some Bettas are very relaxed, and flaring Bettas is not recommended, because it causes them to stress.

7. Goofy Gourami Initiate Member

What part of the water is 97 PPM?

8. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Its just a standard ppm meter.

9. FiscCyning Member Member

Do you have an aquarium test kit you can use? You should have individual readings for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, as well as the ph.

10. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Yes, I have the master api test kit. ammonia, nitrites are near zero. and no nitrates. I think the plant is helping. Tomorrow will be the 7 day mark for a major water change for the betta. A few days ago I did roughly 20oz water change.

Also picked up some aquarium salt and added .5g to his 1G tank.

11. Goofy Gourami Initiate Member

What is the PPM meter measuring?

EDIT: Also, you are in no way fully cycled if there are nitrites and ammonia present but not nitrates.

12. delta5 Well Known Member Member

ppm of the water. I noticed ppm in the betta tank will raise until next water change. My betta doesn't have an airstone or any type of filtration other than a plant.

btw, Mr Blue is now flaring at the mirror and stuff. He even flares at my son's blue snack bowl. He has something against the color blue.

13. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

PPM is an abbreviation for Parts Per Million. So you measure your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in PPM. So if you had an ammonia reading of 1ppm that would mean you had 1 part ammonia for every one million parts water.

Water itself has no ppm.