What Under gravel filter to get?

Grace4514

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get an under gravel filter for my 55 gallon fish tank. I know I can't just rely on that for a filter, I just want one to put on the far side of my tank to help with water flow. Does anyone know of one that works well and isnt ridiculously expensive like the ones I've seen?

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you consider expensive most of them are like $20. All of the ones i've seen mostly work the same way - not sure any of them are esp good (or esp bad); though some are less brittle than others. Penn Plax list for $17 on amazon. Lee I think is said to be a bit better material (not necessarily working better); it is around 33 on ebay. petco and petsmart have their own brands but i think they are just penn plax rebranded.
-
I have the penn plax plates and it is not brittle so i'd go with it since it is cheaper.

[Note I'm not recommending a ugf i'm just answering your question.]

Grace4514

Valued Member
Reaction score
I saw some that for $70 lol. Thank you I will look into that! :)

kered

Valued Member
Reaction score
I prefer the made to tank size rather than the small ones that need clipping together, i find the slits too big and substrate gets through the clip type. There is no reason why a UGF needs other filters they run perfectly as the only filter in the aquarium, you can run them with both air or power heads for a 55 you might need 3 or 4 uplifts, air would be cheapest.

compared to the clip together style

Grace4514

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The holes are gonna get blocked on that one.

This undergravel (click on link) is the one you need. Been running it for 25 years on my Clown Loach tank. The fish are now 26 years old.

Use a substrate size that is bigger than the holes.

Loach 6' aquarium Steve Joul (2) - Copy.JPG" data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-attachment659866" data-lb-id="attachment659866">
15.08.30 Chromobotia macracanthus Clown Loach 6' aquarium Steve Joul (2) - Copy.JPG

Grace4514

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wow! How big is that tank o.o?

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Grace4514

Tank is 6' x 18" x 18"

90 UK Gallons = 110 US Gallons

Nowadays (25 years later) 6' x 2' x 2' and 150 UK gallons = 180 US gallons is the minimum recommended for Clown Loaches and I don't disagree.

I only have undergravel filtration on this tank.

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Plants. They're the best undergravel filter maybe a powerhead instead? There's just no cleaning undergravel filters and my experience is, they get nasty.

Littlebudda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I always run UGF with it connected to the out flow of my canister filter on my big tanks or the small internal filter outlets on my smaller tanks that way it is pumping the water up through the gravel and also stopping the waste from being caught underneath the plate. When I have pulled these tanks apart it is amazing how clean it is under them.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Op what Littlebudda is referring to is a reverse under gravel filter in case you want to read up on it.

Littlebudda said:
I always run UGF with it connected to the out flow of my canister filter on my big tanks or the small internal filter outlets on my smaller tanks that way it is pumping the water up through the gravel and also stopping the waste from being caught underneath the plate. When I have pulled these tanks apart it is amazing how clean it is under them.

Grace4514

Valued Member
Reaction score
Redshark1 said:
Grace4514

Tank is 6' x 18" x 18"

90 UK Gallons = 110 US Gallons

Nowadays (25 years later) 6' x 2' x 2' and 150 UK gallons = 180 US gallons is the minimum recommended for Clown Loaches and I don't disagree.

I only have undergravel filtration on this tank.
Wow i think it's amazing how big loaches get! I have one but hes tiny still lol.

Thank you guys so much! It's been really helpful! :)

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can always put plastic craft mesh found at arts and crafts stores on top of the UGF, to help block substrate from getting through the UGF's slits.

Darice is one of the main brands that makes it. Sometimes it's called plastic craft canvas.

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yea - I just noticed my kuhli are 1/2 inch+ round - they get pretty large. The clowns (I have 5) are getting close to 5 inches in 7 months (they started at 2). At least the gold zebra and zebra are staying a reasonable size (though sadly it turns out the gold zebra like to jump at night).

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
. Edit

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I run my UGF conventionally but with powerheads and gravel vacuuming and don't have any of the problems mentioned above.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I haven't used an ugf in many years. The biggest things are. Substrate bigger then the holes. Use as much of the bottom as possible. Power heads are way better then air. No need for extra filters. Gravel vac, I can not stress this enough since all your solids are pulled into the substrate.

kered

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have seen the reverse use of ugf but i cannot relate to the point of it, especially running a canister filter it would also keep many substances suspended in the water, unless that is the point to keep everything suspended so the canister can take them out. It just does not seam natural and more power usage to force the water through the gravel.
Not tried is so i cannot comment much. What i do know is the normal way is great for plants

Littlebudda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That’s the point but it works great with sand or finer substrate and allows for a huge area for BB

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Littlebudda said:
That’s the point but it works great with sand or finer substrate and allows for a huge area for BB
Really? I used one looooong algo before I had any idea what I was doing and failed. Guess it was just me. Now I'm curious about them

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads