What types of treats do you feed your freshwater fish?

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know that you can do some vegetables
I don't know of anyone feeding fruit
but yeah

I have a tank of community omnivores
any ideas for treats that I can occasionally feed them?

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore dboll2!

I've given my fish lettuce leaves and cucumber/zucchinI slices mostly. And, once in a while a few peas. I've never tried putting fruit in the tank.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I give my fish cucumber/zucchinI slices as well. They also get frozen brine shrimp, which I thaw out once a week. Never heard of using fruit, but then again that's why I'm here, I learn something everyday.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Oh yeah, thawed brine shrimp and on rare occasion I pick up feeder fish, usually tiny danios or rainbows. My angels go nuts with live bait to hunt down.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do frozen bloodworms/krill on occasion. They like it since their regular diet is flake,granules, and cichlid sticks(yes they all eat or pick at the sticks lol)

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For treats I feed the usual fresh veggies, frozen bloodworms & daphnia & the cichlids get live RCS because we have so many of the little critters.

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can give them, as a treat before WC , tiny pieces thawed shrimp or fresh tuna. I guess any other fresh fish may work. I've heard salmon is good too, but I have never try it myself

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think I have heard of someone using mango or something for a treat, I don't remember what species of fish it was for though,

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think that certain fruits could foul the water quickly, and others could even alter the PH if the tank is small enough. I've never tried it though. I do feed my fish thawed peas once every week or so, but a little bit goes a LONG way with those. And for treats they usually get some sort of meat, whether it be microworms, bloodworms, etc.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mine get frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, and on occasion I'll toss in a small piece of cucumber or zuccinI (whatever my mom is cutting up for a salad). They're not huge fans of the veggies, to be honest. Not even my otos or cories will touch it, generally. It usually gets devoured by the piggly-wiggly platies.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Never fed fruit before, like what Jeta said, they can foul up the tank pretty fast.

I feed a variety of treats to my fish, ranging from real algae (rocks covered with the green stuff) and zucchinI for the snails and shrimp, to live mosquito larvae, live bloodworms, and freshly swatted mosquitoes for the fish.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I give blood worms once a week, Shrimp now and then, Shrimp pellets for the corys once a week. I have to give them a slice of potato they weren't much into that, and once in a while I give them a pea, they all love that. I have to watch the cory he like to hid all the left over and lay on it. lol lol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads