What types of plants are best with goldfish?

1. The Sliver Fish Initiate Member

I was thinking about adding a live plant to my tank but didn't know what type would be best with my goldfish. I've heard that amazon sword plants and java ferns were best since they grow fast but i've also heard that about a ton of other plants. What do you guys prefer/ suggest?

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

What ever you choose to add, if it were me, I would pot them. That way they are secure and you don't have to worry about them being uprooted!

3. millca Member Member

Java fern and anubias are plants they won't eat.

4. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

I have hair grass, wisteria (floating) and anubris with my goldies. They have a nibble on all of them but all the plants are growing great in a low light low tech setup

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

How do you keep the hair grass! Mine would dig that straight up!

I have Java ferns, Cabomba and Elodea Crispa... Which are now stems. I'm going to buy that for them to eat from now on

6. HappyKnitter Member Member

I love plants in my goldfish tank but I wanted to see it I could grow pond plants in the tank. .. I could be done I had bought a water lillie and it grew . I have it in a pot the goldies dont bother with it .
    pondwaterlily.jpg

So since they have them on sale in Home Depot I bought a couple more .

pondhomedepot.jpg

I suggest starting them in a QT tank first until you see some growth then you can put them in your main tank.

7. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

I have it tied with fishing line around the bottom to hold it together. It does become uprooted once a week but it's easy to put back in. I only have gravel as substrate but all plants are growing well. Even the floating wisteria which they nibble at

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Keeping the plants potted will definitely help. You can creating a pseudo-pot with stones buried in the substrate as well. But it would need to be deep.