What types of algae will I encounter and ... Question 

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My tanks are new. I don't have any algae yet.

First,
I am wondering what different types of algae will i encounter? At what stage?(ex: I heard brown algae is common in new tanks)

Second,
Since I have Red Cherry shrimps, and Zebra Nerite Snail, I wonder what types of algae do they eat?

They are both busy searching for non existing algae I think. Hopefully there will be the right types for them soon, so I don't have to give them fish food to pollute the water.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Many newly cycled tanks do develope Diatoms (the brown algae). It usually clears up on it's own after a few weeks.

Generally, if you start getting algae it is just the plain old green algae, but every tank is different so you never know what you're going to get.

I have no experiance with snails or shrimp, so I can't advise you on what they eat.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You may not get ANY algae. It depends where your tanks are located, how much light you give them, and how much you feed.

The tanks in my bedroom down't recieve any natural light and they don't have even a single algae spot. A couple of my tanks upstairs in the living room get sun from the skylights, so they have constant algae.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Algae is a funny thing,
I have a tank that receives full sun for about 3 hrs with the light on for 14hrs of the day. That tank only gets green glass algae when I get new fish, but the rest of the time there's none. Whereas another tank receives practicly no sun and only 9hrs of lighting and I have to get cleaning every week.
With types, you'll most likely get the brown algae, this cam sometimes be hard to scrap off and lots of the time you'll need a scraper instead of a brush,
three weeks after that (or when your tank finishes cycling) these diatoms will gradually go away.
From receiving too much light you might get any of the green stuff, (including hair).
I don't really mind hair algae as it look like java moss in some cases. But I hate it all when it's on the glass or gravel.
The shrimps will love the hair algae as it would be the most easy to eat, although they will attempt to eat all types.
If you don't want algae you just have to control the lighting a bit better and your water phosphates (in many cases, ammonia, poop, nitrite, nitrate). You can buy little algae tablets although that could become an expensive act.

Hope that helps
Ranga

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The tank isn't getting any direct sun light but it gets slight day light.

I am giving it 15 hours or so lights per day right now with 2x 10W compact lights for this 10 gallon.

I am still not getting any algae at all. I know I need to be careful with what I wish for, but I have a hard time to feed the Zebra Snails in there. They would wipe the flake clean when they were in the 1 gallon container, but now in the 10 gallon they can't even find the food. RCS are pooping everywhere so I guess they are having mouth full all the time, but they are pigs...searching for food all the time.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
the snails should be fine, they find something to eat.
as for the RCS, dont know how to help.

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I start to get algae...I think.

There are some really tiny green spots on the glass. The snails aren't really doing a good job cleaning them off. They made a mess! I thought with algae eaters like them, I don't ever need to clean the glass lol...guess I was wrong. Now many areas on the glass look like chick scratches...except they are green. A few snails started to poop in green, I think it's the algae they ate.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some algae is too hard for some fish to remove.
now it seems i am getting beard algae, which am happy but also not happy about. i am not sure how i am going to get rid of it yet>>>...

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads