what type?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by yasha, Jul 24, 2015.

1. yasha

yasha Well Known Member Member

What would you call these goldfish?
    (s)hes has a really big belly like 2x the size vs body size as my small fantails.
    The scales don't really look like scales. Looked over https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/php/109668-goldfish-profiles.html and the closes look by scales would be the pearlscale. It's talk still looks like that of a fantail.
    It also looks to have has some of its side scales missing.

DSCN6302.JPG DSCN6304.JPG DSCN6305.JPG DSCN6306.JPG

2. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Pearlscale

3. OP
    OP
    yasha

Thank you.
    Will her/his scales grow back? I read that they would grow back as normal scales not pearled is that true?
    I think that would make him/her a little odd as it is a really big spot on the side with no scales. Not sure if she was like that in the store in the tank or got that way being caught.

4. Reyes

Reyes Valued Member Member

They will grow back, but as normal scales. He is missing a lot, actually, you should tell the shop in case they are not being careful enough when handling the fish...

They are very delicate fish, make sure your water is spotless:)

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

6. OP
    OP
    yasha

Thank you guys.

Sadly the little fish didn't make it tho. Got up this morning and fond it dead in the tank. It didn't really seem to want to eat anything for me and wasn't as active as the other 2 smaller ones so I was afraid it may have been sick but didn't see it passing away that fast I was hoping It could have been treated. Don't know what was wrong with it.

The other 2 babies I have in there are still doing/looking well and my water tested fine. I'll just have to watch them closer to see how they do. If the other 2 randomly die without showing any problems is there a way I should go about cleaning the tank that would save the beneficial bacteria before putting any new fish in it? Any info or link to info that maybe helpful. Before the goldfish the tank was running for 5 months or so with cichlid babies that I rehomed. Hoping the other 2 are fine but coming from the same store and being in the same tank I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Took it back to the pet store to get a new one sadly seems something was wrong at the store or with that shipment of fish. They only had 2 left in the tank a dead one and one dieing on the bottom of the tank.

Aquarist
    I looked at the page you linked before posting and said so in my 1st post. (not trying to sound mean sorry if I did. It really is a good link to have.)
    I just wasn't sure it was the same as the picture isn't of a plan pearl scale.
    I also fond it to be a very pretty fish I liked the light touches of black on its tail and body. Poor thing.

7. Reyes

If you don´t see any signs of infection it could just be the water conditions or that he just wasn´t in good health.

How big is your tank? Do you have two more Goldfish in the tank?

I wouldn´t buy any fish until you are sure it´s nothing infectious. The only way of keeping the bacteria would be to put the filter (running) into another tank and treat this one, but as you don´t know what is wrong with it or if there is anything wrong at all you cannot realllly start applying random treatments.

8. OP
    OP
    yasha

Yea so far the other 2 are doing fine swimming and eating normally. Seems something was wrong with all the pearl scales the store got in so hopefully it was just that and not some disease. Atm there in a 20 gallon long I was useing for baby convict. I rehomed the baby convicts and the parents. Theres just the 2 of them and there about the size of a quarter(2inch at most) the pearlscale was about3-4inch. There in the 20 for a qt tank as it was empty and my 5 gallon was just to small a qt for them imo. It has a sponge filter 4.5L/min air pump and a 350 gph (i believe) power head running a trickle filter. I also have some Water Sprite in there. I was going to exchange the dead one for a new one but as they didn't have any because they all died I just got my money back and will just keep a eye on my 2 baby fantail.

9. Reyes

10. OP
    OP
    yasha

A 20 gallon should be a fine QT tank for 2 goldfish more so as the size of a quarter atm. Much more then a 20 gallon for a QT would be a wast of a lot of meds if I have to give them meds. I also have it filtering about as much as I would need for a 55 gallon. Water tests have came out fine on the tank. I still do a good number of water changes anyway. Not really sure on a number of water as on top of 25-50% water changes I also use 5-10 gallons at times to water plants. They will be fine in the 20 for a month of that I'm sure as long as there not sick that it. I'm guessing on there size they would most likely be fine in a 20 long for longer then a few months but if they stay healthy looking they wont have to stay in there that long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice