What type to get?

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
so I have a 26 gallon tank, and have white sand as the substrate, problem is over the last 2 weeks its turned brown(think its brown, Im partially color blind), anyways its algae. It really only seems to be on the sand, and my clown pleco doesn't seem interested in fixing it. So what kind and how many snails would be best for this job? Didn't know if the sand mattered to a snail.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you go with snails, pick the kind of snail carefuly. I suggest not getting a kind that reproduces rapidly.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
any suggestions? I agree I don't want something that's going to become an infestation

rainman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) would work wonders in your sand bed. They will aerate the substrate and should help prevent surface build-up. Be careful not to over feed though, the population will boom. They stay relatively small (1.1 inches)

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree, i have MTS in almost every one of my tanks.

clown plecos dont eat algae - they eat wood, so if you dont have a piece of driftwood in your tank you should get one or itll starve to death. Unfortunately I speak from experience.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have to hunks of wood in the tank just for the clown :) I wasn't sure how he'd do because some people say their clown pleco cleans their algae, but others say no. Guess I'll pick up a couple MTS.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just be sure you want to add them, cause once you do the only way to get them out is to break the tank down and completely switch substrates. I'm not trying to discourage you, I love the little buggers. You have to be strict with your feeding - consistant overfeeding will cause them to multiply by the hundreds.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How about Tylomelania snails? Just treat them like really big MTS. Pretty much the same requirements, except they need caves or other shelter and do not like to climb the tank glass.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
those tylomajiggys look cool from pictures but I don't think I've ever seen them around here.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Check aquabid.com, I've seen things called Sulawesi snails, rabbit snails and other synonyms for them recently.

-Lisa

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
anybody had experience with olive nerites? apparently they eat a lot of algae and can't multiply in fresh water. any Idea how many Id need for a 26 gallon? site I saw selling said 1 per gallon, but that seems like a lot of snails... I was thinking for the sand churning I like huhlis

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have nerites....i tried one in a sand tank.....he didn't like it. sand was sticking to him and he didnt want to be on the bottom very much. i have a few mts in the sand tank now

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom