What type of T5 is this bulb?

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this bulb? I'm trying to figure out what a suitable replacement would be as this bulb is only throwing red tones.

Sorry to make you stand on your head, but it somehow rotated in the upload..

At this point, I'm not even sure if it is HO or not.

Any help is most appreciated.

Thank you.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That looks more like a T8 bulb to me. Can you measure the diameter? T5 would be 5/8", T8 would be 1".

Also, it says 36" and 30W, which is a T8 combination.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
That is what has me confused too.

It is definitely a T5 bulb.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It looks like you're holding the one edge of the bulb just a bit above the 2" mark, which could make that a T6 bulb. They're uncommon, at least around here, but they do exist. And T6 bulbs use the T8 length/wattage combinations as far as I know, which would explain the 30W/36".

If you Google "lightning rod color intensifier" (which is written on the bulb in the first pic) you'll find references to T6 bulbs in that length/wattage, such as post #5 here:

I can't find any manufacturer's website, though, nor any site that is selling them brand new. I'd just start searching for a 2-pin T6 bulbs in that length if I were you.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Thanks for your help mathas. At least now I know that it is a T6 bulb. Ugh, didn't expect it to be something hard to find. I may end up buying a piece of plexiglass to cover the tank opening and using my T12 fixture that is collecting dust. At least I'd have a way to replace the bulbs easily.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Try looking at the ballast first, and see if there is any useful information left. I've read that many T6-supporting ballasts also support T8 bulbs, but I have no personal experience with them.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads