What Type Of Swordtail Is This? Question

Discussion in 'Swordtails' started by clovervalley, Jul 18, 2019.

1. clovervalley

clovervalleyValued MemberMember

I thought he was a Rio Otapa sword but now that I’m looking at other types of “green” swordtails I’m not sure! I think he’s a wild type, I have two males and they both look the same. I would like the scientific name if possible, I am looking into breeding and would like to keep the lines clean if possible! I wish I took a picture of his scientific name if it was there when purchasing :(

The thing that is different from the other wild type swords I can find is the three black marks on the chest area. Both males have it
    IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Looks like your standard green neon swordtails to me.

3. OP
    OP
    clovervalley

Where would the black marks come in? Is that common with neons?

4. Crispii

It seems that the black markings are common among males, but I'm not an expert on swordtails.

5. OP
    OP
    clovervalley

Okay thank you! Do you happen to know of anyone who could help me with breeding questions or knows a lot about swords on here?

6. Crispii

Sorry, but I do not know anyone who is knowledgeable on swordtails. Hopefully, someone who knows about swords will chime in.

7. Smalltownfishfriend

SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

8. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

If your question would be : Is this a Montezumae Rio Otapa sword? I would definitely say: No!
    The three vertical bars are quite common on males and females (but mostly males) of a "large" number of the Xiphophorus helleri lines. There are multiple wild swordtail species that belong to the Xiphophorus helleri. "Most" wild swordtail species that are not X.helleri do not have these vertical bars.
    But I don't think it's a wildtype or even a wild strain. It's more a mix of an aquarium strain. Neon comes close.
    All known fancy swordtail strains are descendants from Xiphophorus helleri. But again, in the wild there are more species than just X.helleri.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    clovervalley

Darn it, I wanted my boys to be special!

Just kidding, I think they’re special anyway with their bright coloring but it’s good to know more about their genetics. Which type of swordtail female do you recommend I pick to breed with them? I would like to keep the color as close as possible (I guess staying “true” to the pattern) I think he’s really pretty with the orange striping on the top fin and the very bright stripe on the sword.

10. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

11. OP
    OP
    clovervalley

Would the pineapple piece be the orange in the top fin? Honestly I didn’t know what it meant to be wild type, only that mine sort of looked like it! Do you know anything about the black bars on the “chest” area?

12. emeraldking

Probably a pineapple or neon virgin female would do the trick.
    And yes, he's a good looking male swordtail... :)

13. emeraldking

There's besides the Xiphophorus montezumae from the Rio Otapa also a Xiphophorus helleri from that location. But also that one doesn't resemble this male.

I just thought of my other topic overhere. I'll give you the link: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/how-green-do-you-want-them.413206/
    Depending on the light you'll see those three vertical bars as well. To give you an idea that this is a normal feature.

14. OP
    OP
    clovervalley

Yeah, I think we’ve determined that he’s probably a green/neon sword but I found your thread very interesting. I read it a few days ago when I was searching for more information on what kind of sword he was! I can definitely see now he looks different than the wild strains.