What type of substrate should I get?

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by fishaddiction, Dec 8, 2012.

1. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I wanted to get a 20-29 gallon tank and I wanted to have a Jawfish but I read they have special preferences on substrates any suggestions? :)

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What was it that you read they prefer?

3. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

From what I've read, they like to tunnel/burrow. One website suggested using a mixed sub (sand/gravel/larger debris) so the tunnels they make will stay up.

Or, I guess you could just put sand in there for them to root around in and make your own tunnels (use plastic piping and cover with sand). I'm not a real big fan of mixing subs, but that's up to you.

Just my two cents. I've never kept those particular fish, so hopefully somebody else here who has will have better suggestions.

4. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

Don't know a thing about Jawfish, but my 4" horse-faced loaches can burrow just fine in gravel. Mine is pea-sized & smaller, about 3"-3.5" deep. IDK that tunnels are going to hold up with gravel, but the fish will create new tunnels as they, well, tunnel. :)

5. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

My cories love to tunnel and I had them in gravel at first and then switched all of my tanks to sand and they like that sooo much more than the gravel. From what I understand, sand is usually recommended first for munchkins who like to dig.

6. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Will sand get caught in the undergravel filters/filters. Also is fine coral ok?

7. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice