What type of substrate should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishaddiction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wanted to get a 20-29 gallon tank and I wanted to have a Jawfish but I read they have special preferences on substrates any suggestions?

Ava

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
From what I've read, they like to tunnel/burrow. One website suggested using a mixed sub (sand/gravel/larger debris) so the tunnels they make will stay up.

Or, I guess you could just put sand in there for them to root around in and make your own tunnels (use plastic piping and cover with sand). I'm not a real big fan of mixing subs, but that's up to you.

Just my two cents. I've never kept those particular fish, so hopefully somebody else here who has will have better suggestions.

MotherMajesty:)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't know a thing about Jawfish, but my 4" horse-faced loaches can burrow just fine in gravel. Mine is pea-sized & smaller, about 3"-3.5" deep. IDK that tunnels are going to hold up with gravel, but the fish will create new tunnels as they, well, tunnel.

Ava

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My cories love to tunnel and I had them in gravel at first and then switched all of my tanks to sand and they like that sooo much more than the gravel. From what I understand, sand is usually recommended first for munchkins who like to dig.

fishaddiction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Will sand get caught in the undergravel filters/filters. Also is fine coral ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 42 63.6%

Top Bottom