What type of snails are these??

chaaan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Came home tonight and noticed one of my Zebra Danio nipping at what looked like a brown rock. Looked closer and it was a snail! I have found 5.. I don't know how I ended up with these!! (I've seen one on my Anubias, I'm wondering if they came from there??) They look somewhat like Albino Mystery Snails or Nerite Snails.

I was really careful about rinsing off my plants, but I guess I didn't rinse them off thoroughly.. Anyways, can anyone identify these, can't get clear pictures because they are so small. Should I be worried?

shrimp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's a Bladder Snail, aka a pond snail. They hitch hike from pet stores on plants. They also reproduce rapidly and can be really difficult to get rid of once they start to breed.

chaaan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MAAAAAAN!! How do I get rid of them? I never thought I would have them hitch hike... I thought I cleaned the plants thoroughly.. ****

shrimp said:
That's a Bladder Snail, aka a pond snail. They hitch hike from pet stores on plants. They also reproduce rapidly and can be really difficult to get rid of once they start to breed.

shrimp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There's a few ways. You can take them out of the tank as you see them. I've used traps that's I've built before. Also loachs will eat them as well as assassin snails. Mainly, don't over feed in order to keep them from breeding since their population increases as food does. You will see eggs on the glass, they look like little gooey balls with specs inside. If you see these remove them. I have a tank I actually encourage them to breed in but that's because I feed them to my assassin snails that I breed.

chaaan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The thing is.. my tank just cycled and I've never seen eggs before. They must of been on one of my plants and just started coming out of nowhere. I don't think I can get Loachs since I have a 10 gallon with 6 danio. I guess I'll try and take them out as I see them, also what kind of trap did you make??

shrimp said:
There's a few ways. You can take them out of the tank as you see them. I've used traps that's I've built before. Also loachs will eat them as well as assassin snails. Mainly, don't over feed in order to keep them from breeding since their population increases as food does. You will see eggs on the glass, they look like little gooey balls with specs inside. If you see these remove them. I have a tank I actually encourage them to breed in but that's because I feed them to my assassin snails that I breed.

shrimp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ah I see! They must of come from a plant you recently got. Make sure you don't over feed and pick them out as you see them and you should be fine. The trap was a small water bottle with an entrance and some lettuce inside. I'd place it in the tank at night, they'd go in, and I'd removed them in the morning.

chaaan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Trying out the lettuce trap trick. Hopefully it works if not I guess I'm going to have to pick at them one buy one. Lol.

shrimp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
chaaan30 said:
Trying out the lettuce trap trick. Hopefully it works if not I guess I'm going to have to pick at them one buy one. Lol.
I wish you luck, it isn't difficult if you catch it early. Any nests of eggs make sure to remove as well. All it takes is one to survive to start the population up again.

chaaan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So it didn't work... Maybe it's the type of lettuce? I'm gonna start picking them out one by one on my day off tomorrow.

shrimp said:
I wish you luck, it isn't difficult if you catch it early. Any nests of eggs make sure to remove as well. All it takes is one to survive to start the population up again.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try blanched zucchini, mine absolutely love zucchini (and acorn squash). None of my snails like lettuce either.

shrimp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
chaaan30 said:
So it didn't work... Maybe it's the type of lettuce? I'm gonna start picking them out one by one on my day off tomorrow.
Interesting, Lettuce always worked for me. I agree try Zuccini also. When I feed it to my Plecos they come to it. Don't feed your tank for a day and then place it in the tank at night.

chaaan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just pulled out my spider wood since I saw 3 visible ones. I flipped it over and picked off literally a dozen all together. I'm hoping I killed the majority. There were a couple goopy areas that I cleaned off and squished. Hoping those were the eggs. Also did a 50% water change and siphoned the gravel since I haven't done that in about a month. I'm thinking they are attracted to the spider wood. So I'll check tomorrow to see if there are more.

shrimp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Those "goopy aareas don't squish. Just remove them from the tank. There's a chance the eggs will survive if you try to squish them. They are pretty easy to remove from the tank whole.

chaaan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It was in the small cracks of the spider wood so I tried to remove much as I can as well as wipe them off. I'm not 100% sure that they were eggs though. Checked the tank this morning and I don't see any signs of snails so far. I'm going to keep checking everyday when I do water tests and what not. Hopefully I got them all. Thanks for your help btw!!

shrimp said:
Those "goopy aareas don't squish. Just remove them from the tank. There's a chance the eggs will survive if you try to squish them. They are pretty easy to remove from the tank whole.

shrimp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Anytime! Always here to help, I wish you the best. Their population is easy to control if you get them early which it seems you have!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom