What type of snail is this?

Lmg01

Recently I’ve been seeing tiny snails in my tank. I have no idea how many there are, or even if there is more than one or two but I finally managed to catch one. The only snails I have purposely put in my tank are nerite snails, but I don’t think this is a nerite because it comes pretty far out of it’s shell. It is very tiny and it’s shell is brown with a speckled pattern. Can anyone identify what type of snail it is? Also, what are the odds that I have a million in my tank?

5D1C7F85-5A5E-4882-B3B0-54B70CC138F2.jpeg
5B6FB890-00A6-4933-88E6-13262355CBF5.jpeg

Okidoki

Thos
Recently I’ve been seeing tiny snails in my tank. I have no idea how many there are, or even if there is more than one or two but I finally managed to catch one. The only snails I have purposely put in my tank are nerite snails, but I don’t think this is a nerite because it comes pretty far out of it’s shell. It is very tiny and it’s shell is brown with a speckled pattern. Can anyone identify what type of snail it is? Also, what are the odds that I have a million in my tank?

5D1C7F85-5A5E-4882-B3B0-54B70CC138F2.jpeg
5B6FB890-00A6-4933-88E6-13262355CBF5.jpeg
Those are common pond snails. Harmless but some people might no like that there are so many of them in their aquarium. If you dong like them , you can add assassin snails. The assassin snails will chomp on other snails so if you are planning to add them , it would be better to move your nerite snails somewhere else for the moment
Dont
Thos

Those are common pond snails. Harmless but some people might no like that there are so many of them in their aquarium. If you dong like them , you can add assassin snails. The assassin snails will chomp on other snails so if you are planning to add them , it would be better to move your nerite snails somewhere else for the moment
Dont*

Upvote 0

Lmg01

Thos

Dont

Dont*

After looking online I think it might be a baby leopard ramshorn snail. I haven’t seen any adult snails in my tank other than the nerites. I put the snail in my bare bottom livebearer fry tank. Is there any way I can stop the snails from overpopulating besides assassin snails? I don’t think there are a lot in the tank right now since it was so hard to find one.

Upvote 0

Demonskid

That does look more like a Ramshorn snail. As long as it doesn't have a partner, it won't reproduce. I've had one in my 5 gallon tank for about 5 months now, and it hasn't reproduced at all. It's bladder and pond snails that don't need partners and will completely take over the tank from just one. If you have just the one ramshorn, you shouldn't need to worry about a population explosion. If there are more than the one, then you might want to look into snail traps, assassin snails, fish that eat snails, or removing them manually as you come across them. Putting a piece of spinach in the tank and wait for the snails to gather onto it is a good method of manual removal.

Upvote 0

Okidoki

Ooo
After looking online I think it might be a baby leopard ramshorn snail. I haven’t seen any adult snails in my tank other than the nerites. I put the snail in my bare bottom livebearer fry tank. Is there any way I can stop the snails from overpopulating besides assassin snails? I don’t think there are a lot in the tank right now since it was so hard to find one.
Ooo yup. Looks more like rams. Well... you can perhaps pull out the snails every time you see them?

Upvote 0

Lmg01

That does look more like a Ramshorn snail. As long as it doesn't have a partner, it won't reproduce. I've had one in my 5 gallon tank for about 5 months now, and it hasn't reproduced at all. It's bladder and pond snails that don't need partners and will completely take over the tank from just one. If you have just the one ramshorn, you shouldn't need to worry about a population explosion. If there are more than the one, then you might want to look into snail traps, assassin snails, fish that eat snails, or removing them manually as you come across them. Putting a piece of spinach in the tank and wait for the snails to gather onto it is a good method of manual removal.

I think there may be more than one because about a week ago I saw a baby snail that was light in color? Maybe it was the same one but younger. Unless I see a ton I think I’ll just pull them out manually. I’ll just keep my fry tank running permanently as a grow out tank for both fish and snails. I have a local fish store I can take the snails to if I end up with a ton. Thanks!

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Ramshorn snails can reproduce asexually so they don’t need a partner to lay eggs.
Although it looks more like a pond snail to me

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

I say ramshorn. They don’t need a mate to reproduce, as AggressiveAquatics said.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CichlidJynx
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies