What Type of Snail is This?

Wuvbug1

I bought some plants and noticed there were clear sacs--each with about a dozen snail eggs in them--attached to a big, leafy plant. A few of the snail eggs didn't get rinsed off and hatched in my tank. I thought they were ramshorn eggs at first, but now that they're bigger, they don't look like ramshorns to me. What could they be? (This is the biggest snail I could find. Sorry for the bad quality)

Attachments

• 20210103_140620.jpg
    20210103_140620.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210103_140349.jpg
    20210103_140349.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210103_140432.jpg
    20210103_140432.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 27

StarGirl

Looks to be a bladder/pond snail.

Upvote 0

SM1199

Given the orientation of the shell, looks like a pond snail. Also worth noting that the shell in the pictures doesn't seem to be occupied anymore.

Upvote 0

Wuvbug1

Given the orientation of the shell, looks like a pond snail. Also worth noting that the shell in the pictures doesn't seem to be occupied anymore.
Thanks! The shell is occupied. It was crawling its way across the gravel as I was taking the picture. My phone was just having a super hard time focusing on the entire body

Upvote 0

SM1199

Thanks! The shell is occupied. It was crawling its way across the gravel as I was taking the picture. My phone was just having a super hard time focusing on the entire body
Huh, interesting! To me it looks like the shell is empty and see-through.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I bought some plants and noticed there were clear sacs--each with about a dozen snail eggs in them--attached to a big, leafy plant. A few of the snail eggs didn't get rinsed off and hatched in my tank. I thought they were ramshorn eggs at first, but now that they're bigger, they don't look like ramshorns to me. What could they be? (This is the biggest snail I could find. Sorry for the bad quality)
If you don’t want them now is your time to get rid of this guy. When you find one it won’t be long before others pop up out of nowhere

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Does it have translucent gold spots on the shell? I can’t quite tell for sure from the picture. It appears to me to have spots. Bladder snails have fairly obvious gold spots on the shell, whereas pond snails have few or no markings on their shells.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I can never tell the difference.....that helps. It looks like it has spots.

Upvote 0

SM1199

Does it have translucent gold spots on the shell? I can’t quite tell for sure from the picture. It appears to me to have spots. Bladder snails have fairly obvious gold spots on the shell, whereas pond snails have few or no markings on their shells.
Although I otherwise agree about bladder snails having spots and pond snails not, the best way to tell is the shell orientation. One is a righthand spiral, the other lefthand.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 4.36.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 4.36.51 PM.png
    184.9 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

StarGirl

I can also see the ponds have thicker antennae.

Upvote 0

Wuvbug1

Huh, interesting! To me it looks like the shell is empty and see-through.
Yeah, the shell and the body are super see-through. It's just now starting to gain color. It's a brownish honeycomb-looking pattern.
I think so. There's a brownish area that has transparent spots in a honeycomb-ish pattern.

Upvote 0

Wuvbug1

Looks like a mystery snail baby to me
The eggs weren't above the water, it doesn't have a trap door, and the shape of the shell isn't like a mystery snail's. I'm pretty sure it isn't a mystery snail

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JLAquatics
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
FishDin
  • Question