What Type Of Snail Is This?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unless the pictures magnified I’d say 3/8 gravel with a mystery snail. Did you buy it or find it in the tank?

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try a different (side) angle, ramshorn sworls are flat against their side. Imagine if you were to take a plate and stand it upright, the side of the plate would be where you would see swirls. A mystery snail, which has the striations similar to what you have shown, will have a shell that looks like a long cone that is twisting as it narrows. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats a mystery snail did you buy him or did he show up accidentally?

Mason Kent

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
fjh said:
Thats a mystery snail did you buy him or did he show up accidentally?
I found two of them in a 10 gallon around a year ago and they got decent sized so I put them into my 50 gallon because they didn't look horrible.

Mason Kent

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rtessy said:
About how large are they, and how old are they?
I think it's possible they may be apple snails.
They're around 1 and a half inches. And they may be apple snails. I searched them up and saw many things about them being in Florida (I'm in Florida) I think they came from a plant in my pond that I put in my 10 gallon for a little bit and then I saw these and grabbed them. Also they're less than a year old I'm pretty sure but I can't remember exactly.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
At that size they could be either, but I think the coloration may align more with apple snails than mystery snails.
Mystery snails are also becoming invasive in some areas, so I think it could be either.
Just a heads up, they don't live too long, 2 years max
I haven't had a mystery snail love longer than 7 months unfortunately

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom