What type of shrimp?

1. MissCap Member Member

My 10 gallon has been up and running for two days. I plan to add my bottle of Tetra Safe Start tomorrow before I go to my LFS. I think I am leaning towards guppes since I have never had any before. My other option was platies.

I am going to get two male guppies tomorrow. I will get 2-3 more male guppies once the cycle is complete. I would like some shrimp to go in the tank as well, but don't know which kind would be best and how many. Also, do I need to wait until the tank is cycled to add the shrimp? Thanks!

2. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

I believe you only need 10ml per 10 gal. And why not go ahead and add it?

Edited: never mind ... i was thinking of the API Quick Start! I've never used TSS.

3. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Hoi! Defo wait for the tank to be cycled for shrimp! Live bearers are rather hardy, so they should be alright if you add them very SLOWLY. Don't make the mistake of stocking too fast. You can add around 3 RCS (red cherry shrimp) shrimp for ever gallon. I'd recommend 10 for a 10 gallon though as they will breed. Be sure your parameters are perfect before adding the shrimp. They need very clean water to survive!

4. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Agreed, tank needs to cycle first. What color guppies are you getting and what is the tank setup. A pic would be great. There are a lot of different shrimp options out there, so any idea what you were interested in getting?