What type of shrimp is this?

Panzerammer

Hi so I recently caught some wild shrip from a local river and was wondering if anyone could help identify it for me?

Attachments

• 20211014_082807.jpg
    20211014_082807.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 33

AlphaFish

What local river? That info might help

Panzerammer

What local river? That info might help
The whiteriver in South Africa, nelspruit (the town)

AlphaFish

I don't know then. My first guess would have been rcs but those live in taiwan.

Panzerammer

I don't know then. My first guess would have been rcs but those live in taiwan.
That's was my first guess as well but I've noticed these shrimp change colour because I also have a blue and green one as well

AlphaFish

Oh, that's cool. I'm really interested in what species that is now too. Color-changing shrimp? That's new!

Panzerammer

Oh, that's cool. I'm really interested in what species that is now too. Color-changing shrimp? That's new!
They look almost like Amano shrimp but the colors don't support that so I am really unsure

Cue

Looks like a ghost shrimp morph to me. Same hunchback and eyes, different colors. red cherries are a morph so I guess logically ghosts could have cherry morphs too?

ProudPapa

That's was my first guess as well but I've noticed these shrimp change colour because I also have a blue and green one as well

I'm pretty sure that the various colors of neocaridina shrimp have been selectively bred, and don't occur in wild populations.

Panzerammer

I'm pretty sure that the various colors of neocaridina shrimp have been selectively bred, and don't occur in wild populations.
But then why would they be in a river that is no where near a town?

ProudPapa

But then why would they be in a river that is no where near a town?

You've seen different color shrimp (red, blue, green, etc) in a river?

Panzerammer

You've seen different color shrimp (red, blue, green, etc) in a river?
True but maybe it could be inbreeding?

SotaAquatics

Richard & Clark (Zootaxa 1995:1--75, 2009)

I am trying to find a full copy of this, but it covers shrimp in South Africa. Too many individual species of caridina around the world. Would probably need an expert in that local for a precise identification.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Jack B Nimble
  • Question
Replies
Views
The_fishy
Replies
Views
Mlou