What type of rainbowfish is this?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Fishes, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Fishes

Fishes Valued Member Member

I bought this rainbow a while ago as a dwarf neon, it was very silver at the time but has coloured up to an orangey sheen - it's obviously not a dwarf neon, but I can't find out what it is (bottom of picture) image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks to be Melanotaenia Praecox

3. OP
    OP
    Fishes

That's what I thought but the fins are different to my dwarf neons, plus it's orange rather than blue...unless they sometimes have some colour variations?

4. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I see 2 species of Rainbowfish in the pictures. One is of the Praecox (Neon dwarf Rainbowfish), the other Melanotaenia parkinsoni (Orange Rainbowfish). Both would need a school of 6 of their own kind unless the tank is going to be all Rainbowfish species, then you can get away with less.

5. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I agree with M. parkinsoni. What size tank are they in? Parkinson's will grow quite a bit larger than your neons.

6. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

its a 200l tank which is about 52 gallons. I think a school of them is okay in there with the rest of the stock as long as the OP's stocking on their profile is accurate.

7. OP
    OP
    Fishes

Thanks, I think you may well be right. Yes the stocking list I have is correct so I'll be sure to try and pick up some more next time I'm at the fish shop. I'm looking forward to see if he colours up more as he ages, he is already pretty unrecognizable from the skinny silver fish I bought a few weeks ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice