what type of pleco is this?

1. J

Jon Maultsby New Member Member

Hi! ive been adding fish every weekend and this week i added a pleco to my planted 40 gallon. although since they were titled under "common pleco" im not quite sure which species it is. will this guy grow to the 24 inches like how i keep hearing online? will they become aggressive at mature ages? thanks![​IMG]

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Most (if not all) of the species labeled common pleco will outgrow your 40 gal. I'd rehome him and get one that'll stay small - BN, rubberlip, clown pleco, etc.

3. OP
    OP
    J

thats what i was assuming. should i return him ASAP? and also are bristlenose plecos are fine for my tank? thanks

4. TexasDomer

I would return him now, yes. And a bristlenose should be fine for your tank. What's your current stock?

5. OP
    OP
    J

alright i should be able to make the return today. right now i have 3 silver dollars, 5 emerald cories, and 11 neons. by the way there are no traces of nitrite or ammonia in my tank & .5ppm of nitrate in case that information helps with anything lol

6. TexasDomer

I'd return the silver dollars too - they're inappropriate for your tank size. You can get more cories of the same species though! And you still have room for other fish after you return the silver dollars and the common pleco.

7. OP
    OP
    J

really about the silver dollars? well alright i dont want them to be stressed or anything. most websites ive looked at have said they can even be kept in 30 gallons. anyways thank you for the input... ill probably get some livebearers and a ram cichlid or something along that line lol

8. TexasDomer

Unfortunately those sites are inaccurate. They get decently sized (even the smallest species are 4-5") and they're very active, so they need lots of swimming room.

A Bolivian ram would work, but not a German blue, gold, electric blue, or balloon ram - those aren't temp compatible with neons. And try to get male livebearers so you're not overrun with fry - they won't all be eaten and you'll have too many fry on your hands soon.

9. OP
    OP
    J

this is very helpful information. thank you very much! and lol i just returned the fish to my LPS just now actually. thanks again!