What type of pleco, does anyone know?? Help 

Vivian

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can anyone assist with telling me what type of pleco this one may be???
I rescued from someone who had to give up their tank and I’m concerned with his behavior towards the other fishes.

Attachments

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not exactly knowledgeable about plecos but he looks kind of like a spotted rubbernose pleco. he definitely doesnt look too happy though.

your profile says you dont know about the nitrogen cycle- if this is true you should really research that asap.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Definitely not a pleco. Gyrinocheilus aymonieri - chinese algae eater I would say. Has it been after other fish? They have been known to suck the slime coat of some I believe.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Chinese algae eaters stand like that too and they can get fat. Definitely not a goby. You can see examples of CAE that look just like this. Same markings and colour on the body, fins and face.

mimo91088

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Feohw said:
Chinese algae eaters stand like that too and they can get fat. Definitely not a goby. You can see examples of CAE that look just like this. Same markings and colour on the body, fins and face.
Yup. It would take more work to convince me it's not a CAE at this point.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Feohw said:
ah. Ok. I've been researching gobies and am developing a secret desire for them! I have gobies on the brain!

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
juniperlea said:
ah. Ok. I've been researching gobies and am developing a secret desire for them! I have gobies on the brain!
Yep. I love mine. Great characters and beautiful.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Vivian said:
Can anyone assist with telling me what type of pleco this one may be???
I rescued from someone who had to give up their tank and I’m concerned with his behavior towards the other fishes.
How long is it?

Vivian

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Salem said:
I'm not exactly knowledgeable about plecos but he looks kind of like a spotted rubbernose pleco. he definitely doesnt look too happy though.

your profile says you dont know about the nitrogen cycle- if this is true you should really research that asap.
Thank you. I’m looking at other responses as well and believe a few are leaning towards Chinese algae. Looking into it.
Oh He is definitely happy.. I was patient in getting the pics.. spent a good 30 mins trying to capture good close up of him.

Feohw said:
Definitely not a pleco. Gyrinocheilus aymonieri - chinese algae eater I would say. Has it been after other fish? They have been known to suck the slime coat of some I believe.
Yes, he’s in a 200 gal with the same cichlids for over a year but I’m noticing he does always attempt sucking on the fishes and he’s injured one already and seriously after another..

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vivian said:
Thank you. I’m looking at other responses as well and believe a few are leaning towards Chinese algae. Looking into it.
Oh He is definitely happy.. I was patient in getting the pics.. spent a good 30 mins trying to capture good close up of him.
They are some pretty good pics. Here's some of some other CAE that you can look at. This one. This one. This one. This one. This one. As you can see, just the same.
Vivian said:
Yes, he’s in a 200 gal with the same cichlids for over a year but I’m noticing he does always attempt sucking on the fishes and he’s injured one already and seriously after another..
I've heard that they get more aggressive as they age, not all though. And that they start to prefer meaty foods to algae as they age. Never had them so I can't confirm. I wouldn't want one with my fish personally, especially if they are trying to get them. Feeding it meaty foods may help out.

Vivian

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Feohw said:
They are some pretty good pics. Here's some of some other CAE that you can look at. This one. This one. This one. This one. This one. As you can see, just the same.

I've heard that they get more aggressive as they age, not all though. And that they start to prefer meaty foods to algae as they age. Never had them so I can't confirm. I wouldn't want one with my fish personally, especially if they are trying to get them. Feeding it meaty foods may help out.
I’ve just confirmed it is a Chinese algae and you are right, it needs meaty foods.
Researched-google and it appears when they start going after other fishes, they’re lacking protein. Recommendations are meaty food, shrimp pellets and algae tablets.
I had already tried the tablets and pellets as I always throw a few in every other day so this tells me he needs meaty food.

What meaty food is my next question?? Does he need a pork chop in there?? Lol Joking

Any suggestions on meaty foods?

Vivian

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
juniperlea said:
I think it's a type of Gobi..... Simply because of the way it 'stands'. It's too fat to be a Chinese Algae Eater.... ;) Can I have it?!!!!
It’s a Chinese algae.. Finally confirmed. Do you still want him?
Apparently he’s lacking protein and needs meaty foods. Reason he’s latching on flat side of fishes.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Even with meaty foods it may develop a taste for slime coat. So err on the side of caution. Rare to see CAE coexist peacefully with other fish.

Also, welcome to FishLore!

Vivian

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you. I’m going to try helping him with some meaty foods. If it doesn’t work then I’ll need to remove him. I don’t want him hurting anymore fishes.

Thank you in welcoming. Look forward to spending some more time here.
Everyone has been helpful. Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom