What type of gravel?

Anixandria

So I’m getting a new betta tank soon and I’m trying to pick the substrate. I have tumbled glass substrate in my current betta aquarium because I read it’s less likely to scratch a males tail. Would it matter if I use regular gravel for a female’s tank though? Or should I stick with the glass? Or is there a better alternative to both?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
I used to use regular aquarium gravel in my betta's tank and he never had issues with his fins.
I have since switched to sand, and honestly, I love it. I think he does too. Maybe something for you to consider in the future?

FreshWaterHuman

AquaticQueen said:
I used to use regular aquarium gravel in my betta's tank and he never had issues with his fins.
I have since switched to sand, and honestly, I love it. I think he does too. Maybe something for you to consider in the future?
How easy/hard is it to clean sand vs regular gravel?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
FreshWaterHuman said:
How easy/hard is it to clean sand vs regular gravel?
I don't find it very hard, but that's a matter of opinion.
You run your gravel vaccum just over the sand, but not quite touching it and it will suck up any waste. Occasionally, you will put the siphon tube a little too close to the sand and suck up a bit of it. Pretty much every fishkeeper who has sand in their tanks does every once in a while.

Vince3

I have Petco Aztec Bronze in one aquarium and Pure Water Pebbles Cumberland River in the other aquarium, and they're both fine.

New Threads