what type of gourami is peaceful/friendly?

myhamster

Reaction score
Hi,
I've always liked gouramis, the way they swim - it's great. I have a 55 gallon, cycling right now. I plan to put plants (java ferns/moss, hornwort) and also cherry red shrimps, amano's, 7 white clouds, and 3 male fancy guppies.

I've read a lot of posts about mean gouramis picking on each other and other tankmates. I have a few more questions and would appreciate your thoughts.

1. Are female gouramis less agressive or fightly than males? Would females be better tankmates? Would 2 female gouramis work better together?

2. Are Pearl gourami's more peaceful than the blue gouramis? Are blue, gold, and opaline gouramis all pretty much the same aggresiveness since they're pretty much the same fish with different coloring?

3. Would female bettas and female gouramis get along? I read anabantoids would fight. Would either the female betta or female gourami pick on the fancy guppy?

4. Would my shrimp be safe?

Thanks for reading! What I want is a pair of gouramis, like two pearls. Two blues would be awesome, but I'm worry they'd fight. Happy Holidays!

Eric

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Since Bettas are a type of Gourami, I guess I can answer at least part of your questions with some degree of knowledge.

It is thought that the female of the species is not as aggressive as the male, but with most aggressive fish it really varies from fish to fish. At least in Bettas you can keep 2 females if you place them in the tank at the same time and hope they have gentle dispositions. Gouramis may not be all that different. The only thing that I know is that 2 males will not generally work. (never heard of it anyway)

As far as one type being "tamer or more peaceful" than the others, I have never heard of a "peaceful gourami".

No female bettas and female gouramis would not get along well together any better than the males.

Fancy guppies run the risk of being mistaken by the bettas as another betta due to the fancy finnage. I do not know if gouramis would be the same. Guppies are also known to be fin nippers towards bettas so that is another reason I do not recommend the combination.

I do not know how breeders of gouramis feed their fry but bettas are started out on shrimp as "first foods" I do not think the shrimp would last long with bettas.

It really sounds like too "busy" a tank for a betta, but gouramis would probably fit right in.

Welcome to Fishlore.com. I do hope I have helped a little and perhaps some of our gourami owners will chime in here soon and do a little better job of giving information on them.

Rose

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The pearl gourami is supposed to be less aggressive than the other gouramis. Will you reconsider the white clouds and maybe look into another species like cherry barbs? White clouds are not tropical fish, and like much cooler water than a tropical fish would.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of links you might find helpful that have all kinds of info:

dosido

Reaction score
Very good, I have had great experiences in my 55 gal community tank with pearls, dwarfs and gold gouramis. I had tetras, guppies and a couple of plecos to begin with when I added my first pearl pair. Then I added a dwarf pair and then a while later, a gold pair. The all seem to get along very well, other that breeding time, which I pulled the pearl pair out and things are going well in the tank. I think my success with the gouramis is that the tank was established when I introduced them.

As for aggressives, I had some blues at one point that pestered all of the fish except for the pleco, so I don't buy blues any more.

Any one have any words about kissing gouramis and their habits in a community tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom