What type of goldfish is this? I found them in an old goldfish pond and my best guess is that they're Comet Gold Shubunkin goldfish

Hudson

Please help identify

Charlie’s Dad

I do see the characteristics of both in the one. I think you are spot on.

MomeWrath

One of the characteristics of shubunkin is the pearlescent or translucent bluish scales. This looks like a regular old comet to me. It is a little strange to have the black remain into adulthood.

saltwater60

Magicpenny75 said:
One of the characteristics of shubunkin is the pearlescent or translucent bluish scales. This looks like a regular old comet to me. It is a little strange to have the black remain into adulthood.
Plenty of my regular goldfish retain the black stripe into that size. I have one that’s 4-5” that just got rid of his stripe.

I agree regular Comet. Might get some great colors once that black disappears. Mine usually brighten up like crazy.

Hudson

saltwater60 said:
Plenty of my regular goldfish retain the black stripe into that size. I have one that’s 4-5” that just got rid of his stripe.

I agree regular Comet. Might get some great colors once that black disappears. Mine usually brighten up like crazy.
So there’s 2 of these goldfish and I think that they’re a couple years old because they were in an old goldfish pond at this old house we moved into and the water was super murky and the pond was full of sticks and stuff, I assume they’ve been living off of bugs and such

flyinGourami

I also think its a comet, especially since you say they are a couple years old. Shubunkins should usually have longer, more flowy fins and a slightly different body shape.

saltwater60

Hudson said:
So there’s 2 of these goldfish and I think that they’re a couple years old because they were in an old goldfish pond at this old house we moved into and the water was super murky and the pond was full of sticks and stuff, I assume they’ve been living off of bugs and such
Very possible. I have some that retain their black markings for a year or two.

Foxxway

Looks like a comet, but the coloring is exceptional! I've never seen one even close to that vivid.

Latest threads

Top Bottom