20 Gallon Tank What type of fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have recently been setting up a 20 gallon long aquarium. I had done some research on the types of goldfish available at Petco, and I fell in love with the shubunkin. I had, however, bought a book with false information on the average size of an adult shubunkin. I thought they would only grow to 4 inches at the most. :-[

I have totally scrapped my plan and now I'm unsure of what type of fish would be comfortable in a 20 gallon long. I've heard that a fantail would be fine, but I have never kept goldfish so I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If it was the colours of the shubunkins that attracted you, you could always look at a calico fantail...

OP
Brittany

Brittany

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
welcome to fishlore. I think you'd do okay if you get fancy goldfish for a 20 long, with no other tankmates.
Thank you. Awesome! Thanks for the help.

you could have an oranda! they are my favourite!

they are the smallest goldfish from my knowledge
Aww, they are very cute. I love the babies. There is an oranda at the TungHoi aquarium in China that is 15 inches! I would consider them, but I'm looking for a goldfish that can handle less than 60 degrees in the winter. My house gets very cold.

If it was the colours of the shubunkins that attracted you, you could always look at a calico fantail...
Thank you, I will definitely look into them!

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would prefer a cold water fish, but I would love to hear other suggestions if you have any.
I just looked up coldwater fish to see what your options would be and based on the results, I think it would be more interesting to have a fancy goldfish in there as the others suggested.

Other species I found include some species of barb, danio and tetra, also white cloud minnow, weather loach, hillstream loach and guppy. Here's the link I found this information:

OP
Brittany

Brittany

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just looked up coldwater fish to see what your options would be and based on the results, I think it would be more interesting to have a fancy goldfish in there as the others suggested.

Other species I found include some species of barb, danio and tetra, also white cloud minnow, weather loach, hillstream loach and guppy. Here's the link I found this information:
Oh wow, thanks for the list of fish!

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think a large shoal of mountain minnows would be nice in a 20G You gout probably have about 12 and they would look great

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm, well if your not in too much of a rush to stock, you could wait around until you have 50 posts, then you can use the buy,sell and trade section of the forum and maybe a member near you will have some available

OP
Brittany

Brittany

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hmm, well if your not in too much of a rush to stock, you could wait around until you have 50 posts, then you can use the buy,sell and trade section of the forum and maybe a member near you will have some available
Sounds like a great idea, thanks for the advice.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you are desperate (and i mean really!) most fish shops will do special orders. either that or ordering over the internet from sites like aquabid. also, great advise above!

sorry about the oranda, I thought they got 5 inches max.

by the way, instead of getting coldwater, you could have tropical as long as you have a heater. you can get really cheap ones for roughly $20ish (200w) or a good deal is here (top of the line)
http://www.marinedepot.com/Aquarium_Pharmaceuticals_RENA_SmartHeater_Inline_Specialty_Heaters-Aquarium_Pharmaceuticals_API_MARS_Fishcare-AP7151-FIHTIH-vi.html

I think everyone will agree that this is the best heater on the market today!

however, you may not want to have tropical, but im just listing options

There are plenty of easy to care for tropical fish such as a gourami or some cories!

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you want a cold water tank and don't mind lone fish then I'd highly recommend a paradise gourmi. They're sub-tropical so would work great and (unlike goldfish) you could keep them in planted tanks without risk to the plants.
They're gorgoues and have a lot of personality. They tend to be a bit rough on tank-mates (very aggressive) but in a 20 they would shine You could even try a small trio of cory's (bronze cory's are what I have) to give some activity along the bottom of the tank.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want a cold water tank and don't mind lone fish then I'd highly recommend a paradise gourmi. They're sub-tropical so would work great and (unlike goldfish) you could keep them in planted tanks without risk to the plants.
They're gorgoues and have a lot of personality. They tend to be a bit rough on tank-mates (very aggressive) but in a 20 they would shine You could even try a small trio of cory's (bronze cory's are what I have) to give some activity along the bottom of the tank.
I agree with this poster a paradise gourami would be a good fish I think they're really pretty and they are active. But I'd go for panda cories instead but that's just a personal thing ofcoarse I like them because they look like little bandits

Another thing you could do although you'd need a heater is you could divide up the tank and get some bettas. You could divide it four ways and get four different boys.

Or if you still want a goldie you could go for a single fancy of some type.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think the fantails stay the smallest of the fancy goldfish. A calico fantail would have a similar look to the shubunkin you wanted and should do fine in the 20 gallon long by itself. Depending on your filter, you may be able to add a small (3-5) school of minnows or a couple of American Flag Fish. Monitor the water parameters and you may need to up the water changes, but they should do okay. There are a couple different types of cories that can handle cooler water, but I'm not sure which ones. You could read up and see which could handle the water temp in your tank. The fantail goldie should be able to handle the cooler temps in your tank just fine. So should the flag fish or the white cloud mountain minnows or even Mosquito Fish. You'll want to be careful who goes in with the fantail goldie because you don't want the other fish to nibble on the fantail's long fins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom