What Type Of Fish?

ChevyGrrrl

Reaction score
Okay last one... I posted a couple photos over the past few days of fish I recently adopted. I had little info on them. Thanks for all the help so far. Last one! This guy is so gentle and pretty. What is he? Gourami?

Attachments

ChevyGrrrl

Reaction score
Is it true what they say about fish growing as large as their surroundings allow? Would the gourami likely be able to reach 27 inches in a tank vs. a pond ??

ljg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It depends on the size of the tank and the environment. Most likely would be better in a pond to grow to size.

Bryson Zheng

Reaction score
Is it true what they say about fish growing as large as their surroundings allow? Would the gourami likely be able to reach 27 inches in a tank vs. a pond ??
I’m sure a smaller tank would stunt his or her growth but it isn’t good for any fish so I’d recommend trying to see if any zoos or aquariums want it or if any hobbyists would be willing to .

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is technically true, but they will be disfigured and stunted.

Their body will stop growing, but their internal organs will not, which will slowly crush them to death from the inside out.

Either find someone in your area with capable facilities to hold a giant gourami, or donate it to the Ohio Fish Rescue if you live in the US.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It’s kinda like a water balloon.

At the beginning, there isn’t much water(internal organs) so the balloon(body) isn’t stretched.

Now when you fill it up, the ballon should grow with the water.

At a certain point(stunted), it will stop growing, but the water from the hose isn’t stopping.

Soon, the balloon will burst.

I apologize if this representation made anybody uncomfortable.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s kinda like a water balloon.

At the beginning, there isn’t much water(internal organs) so the balloon(body) isn’t stretched.

Now when you fill it up, the ballon should grow with the water.

At a certain point(stunted), it will stop growing, but the water from the hose isn’t stopping.

Soon, the balloon will burst.

I apologize if this representation made anybody uncomfortable.
it’s actually perfect.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It’s a myth that the internal organs grow too big for the body of the fish, I’m not sure when or why that came about. But yes, it’s a leucistic giant gourami and will outgrow all but a large tropical pond.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s a myth that the internal organs grow too big for the body of the fish, I’m not sure when or why that came about. But yes, it’s a leucistic giant gourami and will outgrow all but a large tropical pond.
Or a zoo-aquarium. One of the members of the South African forum keeps one. The tanks overthere are quite bigger than ours.
I had the honor to name it hahaha. It is called "Gekkie" Dutch for "Little crazy one".
It is quite a personality.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can’t answer for other fish but have you ever been on a team of researchers doing necropsy on goldfish? I have. The organs are too large for the body. The body itself shows signs of deformity due to the overcrowding of the organs. The organs themselves are distorted and in some cases completely out of place. It’s very interesting and heartbreaking at the same time. Granted this isn’t in every case. But it is very common in goldfish kept in too small a container for their full grown size. Just my personal experience.

Carbeo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can at least say a giant gourami in a home aquarium would suffer disease and death as water quality became impossible to maintain, never reaching full size or life expectancy. Unless you have the water volume required like other said.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The one I posted was donated and was in a 75 gallon until he came here, He’s about a foot and a half.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The one I posted was donated and was in a 75 gallon until he came here, He’s about a foot and a half.
Wow. Hubby being hubby says dinner time. He’s always wanting to go fishing in my goldfish pond.
What’s his name? Your fish not my hubby. I’ve got lots of names for him. Lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom