what type of fish should I get?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by guppylover321, Dec 29, 2012.

1. g

guppylover321 New Member Member

I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 mollies, one guppy, a gold algae eater, and 3 snails. The lady at the pet store said I can get more. I want non aggressive, colourful, and medium sized fish. What do you guys recommend?

2. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

I would find a bigger tank or rehome the algae eater, that's a gold variety of the Chinese Algae Eater and they get up to a foot long. They're also known to be aggressive.

Afterwards, you could probably add maybe 3-4 more guppies, and another molly, if you'd like to expand the numbers. Or, if you'd like something different, there's lots of possibilities! But first, is your aquarium a 20 gallon high, or a 20 gallon long? That will impact some of the fish you can get. For example, if you still want a bottom feeder once you move the algae eater, and if it's a long tank, you could maybe do some cory cats. I think the regular sized ones might get too big, but I'm not sure. Pygmy cories would be fine though :)

3. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Definitely rehome or find another tank for the algae eater. It WILL become quite nasty and highly dangerous to small fish.

4. f

fishlover123456 New Member Member

more guppies and a couple of jumbo neons and i glo fish or two are good choices and rehome the algae eater for sure i don't know why the lady let you get it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice