What Type Of Fish Eat Snails, Also Need Help With Stocking.

1. blake e

blake e New Member Member

so in my betta fish tank I added about 3 snails and next thing you know I have about 500 baby snails all over the place. So I was thinking this might be a good question to ask since I am either getting a 40g or 50g tank soon, what fish can I stick in the tank that will eat these baby snails (that way I always have a steady source of food) and what would be a good stocking list to go along with those fish? Definitely want some loaches in the tank, but not sure which type are the best, so that might be helpful too :) thanks in advance!

55 gallon*

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

A puffer fish but they will nip at your bettas fins so I'm not sure.

3. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

4. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

Loaches will clean a tank out really well I feed mine pond snails

5. Adriana N

Adriana N Valued Member Member

You should get a bunch of clown loaches. They are known to love snails and will keep the population under control. I heard that they could be quite troublesome, though.

6. Ankers

And bottom feeders are great for bettas

I wouldn't get clown loaches they get huge I'd go for a few kinkiest they don't get that big but you need about five of them and sand yo yo loaches could work

7. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

in a 10g , nothing but assassin snails.

a 40b isn't enough space for any loaches besides kuhli loaches but they won't eat snails.

If you get the 55g then I would do 8 Zebra Loaches , they will eat snails but that doesn't mean you shouldn't supply regular sinking wafers.

and absolutely no to clown loaches , they get massive and need a 125g at the very minimum.

8. Ankers

Thanks for the info about kohlis

9. JesseMoreira06

55g I would suggest

2 Anglefish
    1 Electric Blue Acara
    12 Diamond Tetras
    8 Zebra Loaches
    1 Clown Pleco

Keep the temp at 77-78F

you can also switch up the Diamond Tetras to any other schooling fish of choice that's temp compatible.

10. V

VIARPE New Member Member

55 gal is not enough for Clown Loaches, as they need to be in shcools of six individuals and they grow up to 35 cm. You'll need at least 13o gal for Clown Loaches. Clea Helena aka assasin snails are your way to go. They need sand substrate and a group of at least 5 individuals is recomended.

11. T

ThaiCaliber Valued Member Member

Some yoyo loaches may work for you. They eats snails

12. OP
    OP
    blake e

Thank you all for the answers, I must've kinda mixed up how I said that there haha. So in my 5 gallon betta I put a few snails to clean it out and it got overpopulated so I was trying to see if I could remove a bunch of the snails from the 5 gallon betta tank to feed to some fish I'll be getting in a 55 gallon. So from what I'm hearing, zebra loaches are the best for eating snails, how many would I have for my 55 gallon, and how often would I feed them snails?

Jesse, you always come on my posts and leave great stocks, thank you :)
    Soo either zebra loaches or yoyos, got it. Thanks everyone for the help so far.

13. JesseMoreira06

in a 55g I would go with zebra loaches over yoyo loaches , zebra loaches only get 4" where as yoyo loaches get 6" and require a 75g at the minimum.

14. OP
    OP
    blake e

Ah alright thanks

15. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

Why don't you just transfer over the items from the betta tank to the new tank, taking care to clean up any snails or eggs with safe cleaning material? So that way, snails would not be transferred over (as far as you know). Then for the remaining 500 snails in your other tank, kill them off or give them away to someone who can use them.