What type of fish are these? Question

Discussion in 'ID Help - Identify This' started by Sturty, Dec 14, 2012.

1. S

Sturty Valued Member Member

Ok so i picked up my resuced fish today, two clown fish (soooo cute) and two unknown fish. I have no idea what they are, can someone help?
    I wasnt able to get photos of them in tveir old tank as you couldnt see through the glass.
    I do apoligise for the poor photos- they are very fast and my phone camera is slow, plus the water hasnt settled yet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marlin and gloria :)
    They are very shy at the moment
    [​IMG]

2. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

I have never kept saltwater fish, but it looks like a purple chromis to me.

3. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I think you may be right.

4. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

:;du Thread moved to SW ID Help forum.

The clowns are A. Percula

The other ones I'm not sure. I was tempted to say a dwarf angel, but the fin pattern is more damsel like (Chrysiptera) :;dk

EDIT: cichlidmac could be right, a Chromis Scotti  

5. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks guys :)
    If it helps the top fins are very "saw like" like a zig zag
    They are quick too, since i put them in an half an hour ago they zoom around and around earing everything they can find (havent been fed in ten days)

Im hoping the clowns explore the tank, at the moment they stay in one corner

6. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Glad im not the only one lol

They're pretty cute! Love those big eyes :)

7. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Maybe you could get a video of them? That way you can follow the fast swimming and also get perfect views of them when they pause for breaks?

8. ryanr

"saw like" = damsel of some sort, definitely not an angel. Could be Chromis, or Chrysiptera - but hard to tell what colour they are for sure. Any idea how old they are?

And clowns do that - give it time (a few weeks to a month), they should get more comfortable when they realise there is no big predator about to get them.

9. OP
    OP
    S

They are starting to slow up as the food runs out so i'll take a video now :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  10. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Sorry but sliw? I know it is Aussie lingo lol.

11. OP
    OP
    S

Sorry ryan i dont know how old they are. At a minimum they are 6months as thats how long the pet store has had them.
    They are a dark purple with a sort of purple/pink (plum?) body when the light is right
    And ive just noticed the smaller one has a ragged tail :-(

Slow lol ive got big fingers and iphone letters are terribly close sorry

Video- [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  12. OP
    OP
    S

Ok i really need help
    What can cause a Very very fast loss of colour. He was fine when the lights turned off then two hours later i turned the room light on to get something and seen him like this. This is the first time the lights have been off in ten days for these fish
    Behaviour hasnt changed still swimming around happy
    I dont have a water test kit :( im still trying to get one all i have is salinity and temp, ive added a cap full of seachem prime to try and help if its a water issue, but im thinking it might be stress?
    [​IMG]

13. ryanr

Stress normally causes colour fade. Sudden changes in surroundings can lead to stress....

Turn the lights off, and wait for the morning.... see how it is when the 'routine' resumes... In my FW, my angel loses colour occassionally, it's a defence mechanism. Never seen it on my reef though.... that said, my reef always has some light (moonlight or otherwise, never completely dark)

Without parameters, it's hard to know what the cause is, but if turning the lights on caused the fade, turn them off for now. Maybe a stress related 'camouflage'

Until I see ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature, salinity(SG) it's hard to know.

Did you change anything? Or just the lights coming on? How much cover does your fish have?

14. OP
    OP
    S

Yeah it sucks not having a test kit, im trying locate someone in wagga that can lend me one.
    I didnt change anything all i did was test the temp and salt levels, went to tea amd the lights timed out came back to a white fish :-(
    He has a good hiding spot behind a large live rock.
    Im hoping its only stress and that it comes good, only one has done it so im thinking that rules out the water?
    These poor fish have had it hard theyve been left in a pretty much abandoned fish tank for ten days with two lights going constantly, no feed and glass covered in a thick black/red algee thats impossible to see through. I tried keeping them happy by reusing all their live rocks, substrate and water

I hope i dont loose them :-(

15. OP
    OP
    S

Good news :) the big guy is getting his colour back
    [​IMG]

16. ryanr

Sounds like stress to me.

Just give it time, and try not to startle the fish when they are sleeping. The fish will get used to having you around, just try and create a routine for them.

Unfortunately Wagga/Tumut is a teenie bit too far for me to drop off test kits :giggle: But you could try Wagga Aquarium

Wagga Aquarium

37 Morgan Street,
    WAGGA WAGGA NSW 2650
    02 6921 5501

17. OP
    OP
    S

Yeah i'll let them settle into a routine and hopefully they stop stressing :)
    I think wagga aquarium has closed up as ive tried contacting them a few times with no success.
    Ryan can you recommend a good shop in melbourne or sydney to deal with?
    We get three flights to wagga daily from sydney and melbourne. Im hoping a shop in the citys can help transport some more live rock and some sw plants to me and in the future some more sw fish and coral if i get everything right.

Ps ive ordered some LED lights with moon light from fleabay :) should have the benefit of less heat come summer (we get 40°c++ in summer)

18. ryanr

I don't know any shops in Sydney. Melbourne there's quite a few, but whether they ship interstate :;dk
    Reeflections, Bunarong, Williamstown are some of the better ones. I bought all my livestock from Bunarong. Reeflections has one of the best ranges of acro and LPS I've ever seen, and a great selection of fish.

Most of them buy from Cairns and Darwin, and have it shipped to them.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  19. OP
    OP
    S

Ahh i didnt think of darwin or cairns, i thought they might be a bit far away for transporting live animals. I might suss out stores in darwin with mums help as she lives up there :)

Also i'll have three individual liquid test kits here in a couple of hours, my lovely girlfriend picked up an amonia, nitrate and nitrite test kits from wagga :)
    I love when everything comes together :)

I also have to say a big BIG thankyou too you Ryan, you have been a great help and answered any questions ive had in great easy to understand detail.
    If i ever get the chane to meet you i i think i owe you a beer :;toast
    I am sorry if ive caused any frustration ive cause you by jumping in the deep end and not doing all this the right way, i experience the same frustraion when i see people trying to doing wiring on their cars (im an auto electrician and a perfectionist)

20. OP
    OP
    S

Ryan i got the test kits and im worried- i have a bad reading, test results were
    Ammonia 0.25ppm
    nitrates 80ppm
    Nitrites 0ppm
    What can i do to lower the nitrates? Can i possibly vacuum the gravel to remove fish waste and organic compounds? Im thinking because their tank wasnt cleaned that ive caused the nitrates to spike as ive stirred up the substrate to put it in my tank?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice