What type of filter for a 2.5 gal tank for a male betta?

GuppieLuv

I'm getting a 2.5 rectangle tank for a betta and was wondering what sort of filter would be the best. It seems that in such a small tank any filter that sits on the side would make too much of a current. Is there a kind of undergravel filter that would work well?

Something like that maybe?

New fishes

I like these. I used one on a 5.5 it says up to 5.5 so it would probably be fine for 2.5 it's not a too strong flow either.

Dolfan

Undergravel filters are not recommended. They are a pain to clean, and can lead to problems down the road when too gunk builds up underneath them. I would suggest a sponge filter. Ebay has good deals on cheap sponge filters that you hook up to an air pump and you are good to go. I usually go with the dual sponge filters, but that may be a bit large for a 2.5 gal tank, so you may opt for the single sponge filter. Here are some links...

Dual sponge filter, check out the small size, only about $4 including shipping to your house.

Single sponge filter,

If you can fit the dual sponge, I would go with it, as it is nice to have double the surface area for bacteria to colonize, and you can stagger the cleaning of each sponge.

Fish Lover 86

I have a whisper filter in my 3 gallon tank. It doesn't have a Betta in it, it has a Ryukin Goldfish in it. The tank also used to have a Algae eater in it, but he started getting aggressive to my goldfish. The Whipser filter came with the tank.

guppy5

I would get a 5 gallon tank so its a bit more roomy .

Fish Lover 86

Yeah, this is what I had my Betta in. This isn't my tank, but it is the best I can do since my batteries in my camera are dead. My Betta tank has a purple top with a filter, and right now a plastic plant with a Algae eater in it. The Algae eater was getting aggressive toward Curious(my Ryukin<think I spelt that right, just a fan tail> gold fish)

GuppieLuv

Undergravel filters are not recommended. They are a pain to clean, and can lead to problems down the road when too gunk builds up underneath them. I would suggest a sponge filter. Ebay has good deals on cheap sponge filters that you hook up to an air pump and you are good to go. I usually go with the dual sponge filters, but that may be a bit large for a 2.5 gal tank, so you may opt for the single sponge filter. Here are some links...

Dual sponge filter, check out the small size, only about $4 including shipping to your house.

Single sponge filter,

If you can fit the dual sponge, I would go with it, as it is nice to have double the surface area for bacteria to colonize, and you can stagger the cleaning of each sponge.

Oooh, this sounds pretty good! How do you clean it and hook it up? Does it need more parts? Do you just rinse off the sponges in distilled water once a month or so?

Dolfan

For hook up you just plug it into an air pump with some airline tubing. For cleaning you just squeeze it out in some dechlorinated water, tank water, etc. About once a month would be good. The only parts needed would be.....

air pump (smaller model, as you won't need much air power)
airline tubing (to run from air pump to filter)
sponge filter

Geoffrey

I found another one (same as Dolfan's links, I think), but with free international shipping

I'm thinking about getting one myself. About how long do the sponges last? How often do they need to be replaced (should they be replaced or should a new set just be bought)?

GuppieLuv

Okay, so for this would I have one of those noisy air pumps that rattle? Unless I get a good expensive one?

PiscisMatrem

I have that exact setup for my Betta Splendid "Rufus". We are in the process of cycling (fishless) the 2.5gal and are using a Topfin Internal filter 10. It has adjustable flow but I direct the output towards the back of the tank to minimize current. The downside is there aren't many choices for a tank this size and it does take up some space. Long term goal is to put him in a 5gal.

Henry22

maybe you can go the BLMALL store, I have bought two Submersible Pump from them, great!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mimo91088
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
Melina1020
  • Question
Replies