What type of eggs are these?

RareFeeshCollector

i have these 4 fish, 2 corys and 2 goldies, and a nerite snail. the nail lays eggs all over the place but they are always pure white and mostly flatish. you can see them in the first picture on the heater and filter intake. just today i found these eggs ive never seen before that seem like that same size around but are more cloudy than a flat white and they seem like actual spherical eggs vs what the snail eggs look like. the ones im talking about are the ones stuck to the glass, near the corner. its hard to tell the difference between the ones on the glass and the top of the filter there but irl they look completely different. could these be goldfish or cory eggs perhaps?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220506_163123.png
    Screenshot_20220506_163123.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20220506_163720.png
    Screenshot_20220506_163720.png
    809.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20220506_163617.png
    Screenshot_20220506_163617.png
    849.4 KB · Views: 24

coralbandit

Those look like Cory eggs .

RareFeeshCollector

Those look like Cory eggs .
i just went to check on them and they are gone

if they are, who knows how long they have been laying. the goldfish are being moved to a deck pond so hopefully this wont happen in the near future.

coralbandit

Cories will eat their own eggs .

RareFeeshCollector

oh boy i went to check before dinner and there she was holding the eggs in her underfins. within 5 minutes she had swam up the side of the tank and placed them. how cool.

i pulled them out and put them into a yogurt container with tank wanter. i dont have any methylene blue. is there anything else i should do here?

Aaronious

oh boy i went to check before dinner and there she was holding the eggs in her underfins. within 5 minutes she had swam up the side of the tank and placed them. how cool.

i pulled them out and put them into a yogurt container with tank wanter. i dont have any methylene blue. is there anything else i should do here?
you can use a little hydrogen peroxide on the eggs. I would suggest 1-2 times a day until they hatch.

Food, easiest is infusoria for cheap anyway. Get a mason jar with a lid, add tank water about 3/4 full. Get some kind of veggie, i use broccoli for the surface area, blanch that, let it cool and add to the jar. Leave jar sealed in a sunny window. in about 2-3 days you will start to get a decent amount of infusoria.

The eggs will take about 4 days to hatch, you'll have another day or two they can live on their yoke. If you have moss floating around, add some of that. If you have sand as a substrate, add some of that as well. You will want a grow out tank, doesn't have to be huge. but the adults and other fish in that tank will eat them until they are... well I would recommend waiting to put them back in until they are over 1/2 inch.

RareFeeshCollector

you can use a little hydrogen peroxide on the eggs. I would suggest 1-2 times a day until they hatch.

currently they are in a small, plastic, yogurt container that is half filled with water floating in the tank to hopefully keep temp. should i poke small holes in it for some type of water exchange?

when you say add hydrogen peroxide, do you mean in the water they are in or drain the water and add directly onto the eggs? and how much is "a little"? like a couple pipette drops? i think i smashed a couple trying to move and place them into the container as well.

actually i have some white fine mesh/netting that i could make into a container with lots of water exchange. would that be a good idea?

Food, easiest is infusoria for cheap anyway. Get a mason jar with a lid, add tank water about 3/4 full. Get some kind of veggie, i use broccoli for the surface area, blanch that, let it cool and add to the jar. Leave jar sealed in a sunny window. in about 2-3 days you will start to get a decent amount of infusoria.

ive never heard of this method, or infusoria in general. i will have to research it. i remember someone using smashed/very fine scrambled egg yolk. would that also work here?

The eggs will take about 4 days to hatch, you'll have another day or two they can live on their yoke. If you have moss floating around, add some of that. If you have sand as a substrate, add some of that as well. You will want a grow out tank, doesn't have to be huge. but the adults and other fish in that tank will eat them until they are... well I would recommend waiting to put them back in until they are over 1/2 inch.

ok i will have to set something else up in a rubbermaid tote or something. im also in the process of setting up a deck pond to move the goldfish out of the tank. that should be done before these guys are hatched if i manage to get them that far.

Aaronious

currently they are in a small, plastic, yogurt container that is half filled with water floating in the tank to hopefully keep temp. should i poke small holes in it for some type of water exchange?

when you say add hydrogen peroxide, do you mean in the water they are in or drain the water and add directly onto the eggs? and how much is "a little"? like a couple pipette drops? i think i smashed a couple trying to move and place them into the container as well.

actually i have some white fine mesh/netting that i could make into a container with lots of water exchange. would that be a good idea?

ive never heard of this method, or infusoria in general. i will have to research it. i remember someone using smashed/very fine scrambled egg yolk. would that also work here?

ok i will have to set something else up in a rubbermaid tote or something. im also in the process of setting up a deck pond to move the goldfish out of the tank. that should be done before these guys are hatched if i manage to get them that far.
I use a syringe for baby tylenol from my 2 year old. we had extras. You can use a pipet or a legit syringe as well to apply the hydrogen peroxide. I just spot treat them, get in nice and close to the eggs, little aquirt, done.

I have my eggs in a HOB breeder box and I turn the flow/air off and treat. Turn it back on 10-15 mintues, or longer if I want to wait for everything to stop bubbling. Ideally I don't do a lot as this will kill off BB in the main tank if there is too much. But eventually the hydrogen peroxide will dilute itself into the water and break down. all that you have to worry about is the damage it does before that and what it does the damage to.

Cory eggs are tough, and I have had incredible hatch rates using this method.

Or i believe you can do straight hydrogen peroxide for 5-10 minutes, dump that then add more water. You can use clean water instead of tank water. Might be best actually for anti fungal reasons.

Yes, egg yoke works for this as well. The infusoria that is.

To start, a cup or rubbermaid with daily water changes should be fine... If you can, I might put a tiny bit of air on them, not really sure how crucial this is, I have done them in tanks with a sponge filter and the HOB breeder which is essentially and sponge filter too. Flow is the same anyway, not filtration. Main tank does the filtering. Also, might as well do the water changes after you treat them.

Flyfisha

There are a couple of breeding boxes sold that have air powered uplift tubes on them. They can sit on the front of a tank and have tank water circulating 24/7 .
Foam is added to the outflow to stop fry going back into the tank.

No putting holes in the yogurt container will not be enough to get good circulation. Even the breeding boxes made of mess are not ideal. Until you get something that has a good flow of water you could try changing a cup of water every time you walk past but I doubt they will hatch , this time.

Pisces Aquarium Breeding Box Aquaholics Aquarium Supplies

Edit
alternatively if you do absolutely nothing a random corydoras can turn up in a jungle tank once a year without any human intervention.

RareFeeshCollector

another question i have is if i do get fry and the get big enough to put back into the tank with the parents, is that and interbreeding issue?

Flyfisha

As a statement about fish in general no inbreeding is not an issue for them like it is with mammals.

I don’t know enough about corydoras to be specific but generally its 5 or more generations of breeding daughters back to fathers etc before any small issues start to show up.

Someone who keeps records of their breeding may contradict me? Please do.

With fish it’s common to “line breed “a strain from the same family. Or to breed back to the parents deliberately to make a “ bloodline “ .

Don’t worry about it RareFeeshCollector

RareFeeshCollector

hard to get egg pictures to come out well, but here they are. there are a couple that look more white than the others i think.

Screenshot_20220515_113808.png
Screenshot_20220515_113033.png

Screenshot_20220515_113629.png
Screenshot_20220515_113144.png

ive also included the originals below.

Attachments

• PXL_20220515_162303339.jpg
    PXL_20220515_162303339.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20220515_162127042.jpg
    PXL_20220515_162127042.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 2

Aaronious

ones that turn white are unfertilized. If they stay opaque they are fertilized. if you can pull the white ones. they will grow a fungus and can kill the rest. but this is why I do hydrogen peroxide once a day. Should be close to hatch time. I just had some spawn the day before yours, they hatched today.

GL

RareFeeshCollector

so none of those eggs have hatched. i also pulled a bunch of them for being white, but didnt really look fuzzy. there have been more eggs laid and i put them in a dish with the bottom cut out and replaced with a 100 micron mesh. its sitting right above my bubbler for agitation. they also havent shown any life after a ~week. now there are even more eggs stuck to the glass. i will just leave them there for now.

here is a short video of the mesh bottom cup:

PXL_20220518_181401989.MP.gif

Aaronious

so none of those eggs have hatched. i also pulled a bunch of them for being white, but didnt really look fuzzy. there have been more eggs laid and i put them in a dish with the bottom cut out and replaced with a 100 micron mesh. its sitting right above my bubbler for agitation. they also havent shown any life after a ~week. now there are even more eggs stuck to the glass. i will just leave them there for now.

here is a short video of the mesh bottom cup:

PXL_20220518_181401989.MP.gif
If you're really serious about trying to hatch some fish, I recommend a Fluval breeder box. hangs on the side, just needs an air pump. I use a USB air pump. Total would be like $30ish for all on amazon. Also, I would recommend some fry food or culturing some micro worms and hatching baby brine shrimp. There are a few other things, if you're ever curious shoot me a message and I'd be happy to share how I do the whole process.

RareFeeshCollector

yikes

1653232843785.png

have placed a few in a fishnet under the HOB filter for agitation:

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

RareFeeshCollector

status of the netted eggs:

Screenshot_20220524_132805.png

can female corys lay eggs w/o a male?

RareFeeshCollector

out of all the eggs only a few have looked to have had fungus. lots of unfertilized too. is it possible both of my corys are female and laying all unfertilized eggs?

Flyfisha

Ten minutes watching the corydoras laying eggs will tell you if you have a male. She lays eggs approximately every 5 minutes. Between batches of eggs the male and female go into the “tee” position. It is unlike any other creatures dance but unmistakable when you see it.

RareFeeshCollector

Ten minutes watching the corydoras laying eggs will tell you if you have a male. She lays eggs approximately every 5 minutes. Between batches of eggs the male and female go into the “tee” position. It is unlike any other creatures dance but unmistakable when you see it.
ive seen it in video but only caught her with eggs already between her fins twice. i saw her actually place them on the tank glass once. does she produce and place eggs even if there isnt a male present?

Flyfisha

I don’t know but it’s possible a females drive to breed is that strong?
With a male in the tank albino/ bronze corydoras lay 18 eggs every 5 minutes for two hours or more. At times they seem to be doing it every second day.

Other species are more secretive.

coralbandit

Yes females will lay eggs without a male .
It happens often with other sp. fish also.
If not one egg has hatched yet for you then probably two chicks IMO.

RareFeeshCollector

Yes females will lay eggs without a male .
It happens often with other sp. fish also.
If not one egg has hatched yet for you then probably row chicks IMO.
I will try to catch them in the act I guess.

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom