What Type Of Dwarf Chichlids Are These? Help

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Mikaela, May 22, 2019.

1. Mikaela New Member Member

Help! I’ve totaly forgotten what type of species these dwarf chiclids are!

Attached Files:

2. Feohw Well Known Member Member

Rainbow cichlid, Archocentrus multispinosus?

3. HookedOnAquariums New Member Member

Ha now they are all colored up i can definly see they aren't even apistogrammas! They are a central american cichlid called the rainbow cichlid (like the post above stated). They get about 5 inches long and are pretty aggressive for the size. They need a 29 minimum and prefer hard water. They tend to be really hardy though.

4. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The name has been moved back to Herotilapia multispinosa due to some revisions a couple of years ago. I've never seen one much over 4 inches, and I've never seen one get particularly aggressive with other species of fish, especially when compared to other Central American Cichlids. When I got my first pair back in 1969 they were called Golden Red-Eye Cichlids and they were the first cichlid I ever had spawn for me. I would say a 30 inch 20 gallon long tank is good for them, though I've bred younger pairs in a 10. The extra depth of a 29 is a waste.

BTW, first photo appears to be two males.

5. Mikaela New Member Member

Yes, I remember now that they are called rainbow chiclids.

The man who sold me the pair told me that if I ended up with two males or two females I could come back to swap them out. Are you 100% sure that these are two males? They are pretty young.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  6. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Yep. They are big enough to be sexually mature, this species can breed at about 2 inches.

7. Mikaela New Member Member

How do you see the difference between the sexes?

8. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Both fish have long, extended dorsal and analfins. Females have much shorter, often slightly rounded fins. Also the abdomen of a healthy female will be bulged out with eggs.

Thought I had a photo to show the difference, but the female was facing me in the shots that I had of her.

9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Agree with chromedome, they're definitely not aggressive fish.