What type of driftwood do BN Plecos prefer?

What Type of Driftwood do you BN Plecos like the most?

• Spiderwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cholla Wood

• Bonsai

• Mopani Wood

• Total voters

Tup

Just Wondering what type of Driftwood you have for your BN Plecos, or if you've had/have multiple Bristlenose tanks which do they prefer?
Sorry if I missed any...

BigManAquatics

I have got malaysian and mopani woods in my tanks. They seem to like both well! Positioning seems to be a bigger thing than the type from what i have seen, either so they can hide better or see better.

Tup

I have got malaysian and mopani woods in my tanks. They seem to like both well! Positioning seems to be a bigger thing than the type from what i have seen, either so they can hide better or see better.
Yeah, that's true

DoubleDutch

IMO BN's don't need wood though they like it to hide in / under.

Besides the hiding I hardly ever see them on different kinds of wood in my tanks.

Just like in your other thread I don't think you should use the "poll" function when you like an advise from members. But that's my idea.

Tup

IMO BN's don't need wood though they like it to hide in / under.

Besides the hiding I hardly ever see them on different kinds of wood in my tanks.

Just like in your other thread I don't think you should use the "poll" function when you like an advise from members. But that's my idea.
I just wanted to see what sort of driftwood people have in their tanks, and Bn Plecos do need Driftwood to rasp on as it is part of their digestion. Also if you're Bn's are hiding all the time try getting different tankmates or water conditions. (I know this isn't always the case though)

DoubleDutch

I just wanted to see what sort of driftwood people have in their tanks, and Bn Plecos do need Driftwood to rasp on as it is part of their digestion. Also if you're Bn's are hiding all the time try getting different tankmates or water conditions. (I know this isn't always the case though)
BN's don't need wood for digestion.
For some reason people mix the needs of Clown plecos (which do need wood) with BN's. Last year Planet catfish mentions wood to be beneficial for BN's but they simply don't need it for digestion.

Tup

BN's don't need wood for digestion.
For some reason people mix the needs of Clown plecos (which do need wood) with BN's. Last year Planet catfish mentions wood to be beneficial for BN's but they simply don't need it for digestion.

I understand where you are coming from but even if they didn't need driftwood it still is extremely valuable for their health as it aids their digestion, gives them essential fibres and nutrients and without it, they cannot thrive and can very easily die or fall ill.

DoubleDutch

I understand where you are coming from but even if they didn't need driftwood it still is extremely valuable for their health as it aids their digestion, gives them essential fibres and nutrients and without it, they cannot thrive and can very easily die or fall ill.
Sorry Tup but in my experiences this isn't correct. None of my 5 BN's ever eat wood.

Tup

they don't eat it they rasp on it though it sounds like your Bns might have been raised differently or maybe even have some hybrid or strange genetics... I've never heard of a BN pleco that doesn't eat/rasp on wood before though...

DoubleDutch

they don't eat it they rasp on it though it sounds like your Bns might have been raised differently or maybe even have some hybrid or strange genetics... I've never heard of a BN pleco that doesn't eat/rasp on wood before though...
Let's agree to diagree on this part.
The biggest issue in BN's the protein part in their diet is forgotten. They are onnivores.

All "common" BN's in fact are hybrids.
Different species of BN's are mixed over the years.

Tup

That's true, they'll even eat bloodworms from time to time...

CheerGirl

GOOD ---- Hard Wood (any tree that drops its leaf in the fall)
BAD ----- Soft Wood, The gummy sap hurts all plecos (trees with needles that stay green in winter)

No Pine Cones

Flyfisha

Old dry driftwood. Very old dry wood. It is much safer to just buy wood sold in an aquarium shop for fish. It’s understood in Australia that any gum tree has unsuitable wood regardless of how old it is.
One wood that is Australian and kind of nice looking is mangrove root. Again it’s very very old and dry by the time it’s sold in the shops.

We are getting a few imported chunks of unknown wood from Asian with Anubis already stuck on . Sold as jungle wood its a bit random. Much better to buy wood sold with a brand name .

Buy something from a shop and remove any doubt instead of collecting from the wild .
A remember you saying you had seen aquarium co-ops videos on collecting from the Amazon river.

Akeath

In my experience, Malaysian Driftwood is their favorite by far. Over the months you'll likely see your Bristlenose eat enough of that to noticeably sculpt it into pretty, curving shapes.

Mine have eaten my aquatic Spiderwood some, but they don't feast on it the way they do with Malaysian Driftwood.

African Mopani wood is actually so hard that they can't successfully rasp of parts of it. They may hang out and try their best to rasp it, but they won't actually manage to eat it.

I've never tried mine with Cholla wood or Bonsai.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CHJ
  • Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
devsi
Replies